• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

NatureVision VPG

Wavey Davey

I have one and the two times I was able to use it, it worked great. If you can buy one from a store, I would recommend that. Mine had the plug for the battery wire come uncrimped from the battery box. I had to send it back to the store I bought it from to be replaced. So inspect it before you take it home. The separation was incredible. I could see both my jig and the sinker I had above the jig to help get my bait down. I wouldn't hesitate to get one if you had the chance.

if you use our search button at the top of this page you will find a few reviews on the VPG...

I have one, and think its a very slick unit. My wife loves it! I was surprised how easy it was to tell the different colors of gray.

I think fo rthe money, its a great unit.

A couple of my thoughts/opinions;

The unit seems to be work well but there are a lot of things I don’t like about it.

It is small enough that it could easily fall down the hole. It should be low to the ground with a wide base so it doesn’t tip over (which it does when you are on uneven snow/ice). I am also concerned that the case is soft and not hard. Things get banged around a lot when i am on the ice and the design of the VPG doesnt look like it would withstand the abuse like a Vexilar or Marcum.

The battery box is my main problem with the VPG. It should be molded to fit the battery without taping a wood block to the battery as a spacer (comes this way from the factory). The battery box should have a cover to prevent the battery from moving around in the case. The cables must be losing a connection as it powers off when I move it around. It would also help if it were easier to charge the battery without removing the unit from the case.

If you are on the fence, go get one and give it a try. Check the stores return policy first, you can probably return it if it doesnt meet your expectations.

Good Luck!

Hello to all, as this is my first post I'll try to be quick. I just returned from a week of fishing URL and in the Blackduck area. I used a VPG and was very happy with it. The sensativity of the unit was excellent, I could see all my small perch jigs easily.(dropped a wax worm in the hole and watched it fall to the bottom in 22ft of water).

The noise reduction worked ok. My buddy was using a Vex in the same shack and I could still use my unit. It did take some time to get used to the interferance but like everything else practice helps. When he took his Vex to some other holes we'd drilled(30ft away) the interferance was nearly gone.

As for the durability of the unit, time will tell. We fished out of 8" holes and it is possible for the unit to go through, I guess.

The one thing I'm going to change on mine is to add a float to the trans. cable. Didn't care for the arm on the unit that the cable runs through.

The unit ran up to 14 hours a day with no battery problems.

All in all I am happy with VPG.

I have used mine a few times now. I really like it, and like you this was my first ice fishing electronics item. I find it very easy to read. I could see my bobber stop bead sliding down my line last time I was out. As for the concerns of it going down the hole, yeah it is probably possible, I built a little base for mine to sit in out of wood. I wish it had 1 foot increments rather than 5 foot increments. Interference with a vex right next to me wasn't bad once I got used to it. I also wish the buttons had backlighting, l.e.d. headlamp works. I have noticed the last couple of times out that it seems to have a hard time finding the depth in the digital readout, not the graph, like it is searching for the proper depth, which would not be good for those who move alot and want quick readings. All in all I really like the unit and the price is right. I say go for it, if nothing else, return it.