• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Auger cutting slow

Cruizin for Fish

Question

Have any of you had this happen before? My Nilsmaster has been cutting phenominally on the first hole I drill then every hole after that it just will not catch and dig down. I never push down on it but end up reducing the speed and then sometimes it catches and digs the way it should other times it looses its grip once it catches. The weird thing is that if I let the auger sit for 5 minutes or more - the first hole I cut goes down incredibly fast again - then on the remaining holes it just spins and does not catch. I would say I have drilled 1200 to 1500 holes and have not had it sharpened yet - I assume that is the problem - but why does it cut so good only on the first hole of each drilling session - are the blades getting iced up?

8 answers to this question

on those cold days I've found if you open the throttle for a few seconds between cutting each hole the water will sling off before it freezes, which usually gets me several more holes, but the ice will eventually build up enough where you'll have to do something about it.

ICE-DOG 1 out grin.gif

You can test the ice theory by drilling a hole about 2/3 down stop and drill another before you hit water. If that works you will have to start a second hole after hitting water fast then only go about half way down. By then the water should be off the blades. I used to have to bring a propane torch for my hand auger. Blades iced up like crazy when weather was cold during the winter.