• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

keeping waxies and larvae?

bgreen82

i am thinking about buying a large amount of waxies and spikes/larvae. ive heard its best to constantly have the spikes refrigerated in bags and to keep the waxies at room temp. for a couple weeks then refrigerate and keep refrigerated. is this correct? how long is it possible to keep about 500 of each?

I have been quite successfull at keeping the little buggers alive... Put the Eurolarve in the warmest part of your fridge. They should be in the fridge, but dont get them too cold.. this usually means the produce part of your fridge or the door..

Wax Worms do better in the coldest part of your house. Basement or something like that.. I put mine on a window sill.. they like cool but the fridge is too cold and will kill them unless you have an overly warm fridge.

I have two containers of Euros in the fridge right now. One is an insulated bait puck, and the other is an old tin of snoose. The euros in the bait puck all started to pupate, while the ones in the tin of snoose are still going strong. I'm guessing that the insulated puck kept them too warm, but that's just a guess.

I keep my waxies in the windowsill of the coldest room in the house. So far so good.

Actually when looking at buying in bulk I searched on Jadabait's site and they pointed out how they ship them in Zip lock bags and say to keep them in those while storing them. I believe the problem on the Bait pucks (which I also use) is that they have the few holes to allow the bait to breath. I think this is the pupating problem. Just try sealing those holes with some Electrical tape.

Hmmmm, I don't remember seeing any breather holes on the Strikemaster bait pucks that I use. I'll have to take a closer look I guess. Good tip on the Ziplock bags, that's another option I can try. Maybe. Not sure how well that will go over with the wife. She thinks it's bad enough just having them in the fridge, I don't think she'll like looking at a bunch of wiggling maggots every time she opens the fridge.

Quote:

Hmmmm, I don't remember seeing any breather holes on the Strikemaster bait pucks that I use. I'll have to take a closer look I guess. Good tip on the Ziplock bags, that's another option I can try. Maybe. Not sure how well that will go over with the wife. She thinks it's bad enough just having them in the fridge, I don't think she'll like looking at a bunch of wiggling maggots every time she opens the fridge.

There are little tiny holes in the bait pucks. Just put the whole bait puck in a ziplock bag. No sense in dumping them into the bag and making a mess. Your wife will like that better wink.gif

I thought about that too, then I thought that maybe seeing a bunch of maggots every time she opens the fridge might help her stick to the diet a little bit better! shocked.gif

Hopefully this isn't my last post.....

I keep a small dorm fridge in the basement and keep it on the warmer cold settings. Keep the big tubs of waxies and pucks in there haven't had a problem. Wife prefers that much more than having them in the kitchen fridge. In the summer the fridge goes out to the garage and gets set on colder settings for BEER. grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif