• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Knotty Pine

I'm looking at putting knotty pine on my basement walls. Just bare stud walls, i looked at 1x6 tongue and groove carsiding but not sure if that will look that great or not. Anyone have any advice?? Thank you

I redid the family room at my previous house with 1x6 carsiding and it turned out great. I am building an office/computer room in my current home and have put carsiding on the outside walls. Being it's a small space, I'm using drywall on the inside walls so I don't feel like I'm in a box.

The first project I nailed 1/3s horizontally over the existing paneling. That allowed me to place more electrical outlets as well as phone and cable jacks where I wanted them.

I needed about 40 boards for the current project. I must have sorted through a stack of 300 two times at the save big money store before I found enough to do the job.

Both jobs I finished with clear, water-based poly.

Knotty pine is an awesome look. My house has T&G through out. I have been trying to do every room in a different kind of wood. Not only does it look nice but it gives you that cabin feel. Only down fall to knotty pine is when you have stuff hung on the walls for long periods of time they leave behind a shadow. Put it this way my DU print will be staying in the same spot. I had to take it down because my wife wanted to do some spring cleaning and you can see where it was. I believe sun light has a lot to do with this. Not sure how it would affect it in a low light (basement) area. I purchase all my lumber from a local mill up here on the range and have experimented with other vendors and found their lumber quality to be 10 times your local national companys. In the long run you might have to pay a little more for it but when it comes to fighting the T&G you will be much happier.

I put T&G in the porch at the cabin and asked about the sun fading the color. I was told by a profesional painter to mix white latex paint 15:1 (one part paint) with water and apply it to the boards like you would stain with a rag and then wipe off. Then I put on a clear oil based clear coat, sanding between coats until I got the finnish I wanted. I put on three coats of the clear stuff. Then the best part my son who is a carpenter hung it for me. The boards did not turn out white like paint, after the varnish was put on they looked like fresh wood. It has been two years now and no faiding yet. We are very happy with the way it looks.

Posty,

I built a cabin in western Wisconsin where I have put 6600 linear feet of pine on some of the walls and the vaulted ceiling. Two recommendations that I have for you. Get your hands on a pneumatic finishing nailer that handles 1.75 to 2 inch finishing nails. This will save you a ton of work and you won't ding up the tongue on the board with a hammer. Second. Prefinish all your pine before you hang it. No reason to go up a ladder or be on your knees twice or three times for the same board.

I bought all my wood at Home Depot. That is both good and bad. I bought small batches (20-40 boards) so I could finish it in my garage at home and then haul it to the cabin. This allowed me to finish the wood during the week and hang it on the weekend. It would have been nice to get a big shipment from a mill but I didn't want to store that much wood in my garage at home. The down side is that you find alot of store worn boards. Dings and bends are common. You need to sort. I probably used one out of every five I looked at. I went to 9 different Home Depots in the metro get get all my wood. I couldn't go to Menards because there T&G pine is cut differently.

I used oil based satin Varathane and got a great finish with two coats. The color is changing slightly over the last 4 years.

I can email you some pictures if you are interested.

Good luck with your project.

many yards are now offering pre finished TnG. Imo, well worth the $.

think about how many times you handle each board finishing it yourself pryer to install, do you have the room? is your time worth anything?

a waterborn poly finish will not yellow nearly as fast as an oil based poly will

Thanks for all the replys,really some good pointers!!! Walleye Guy: I have a finish nailer and acess to another, big time saver!!! Like you said, i was planning on buying a little at a time, finishing them before hanging. Did you seal both sides?? If you have pics available please send them to [email protected] Thanks

Walleye Guy: Thanks for the pics,it looks awesome!!! Is that actually knotty pine or pine carsiding. Our home depot only has knotty pine in 14sq ft. packages, but the carsiding you can buy individual pieces in lengths from 8'-16'. Thanks for all your advice!!!!