• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Anyone Been Out Spearing??

bassNspear

n33805641_30929514_8065.jpg

This is my nicest one of the season, a shade under 10lbs...can anyone give me any info about where to find a nice, clear lake near DL where a college kid could get out and spear some OK fish on the weekends? I'm not looking for a 25lber, but some decent solid fish with steady action.

Nice fish Evman. Looks liek u ran into a few solid fish. There is not alot of clear lakes out there right now. I was out on a metro lake last weekend, saw 12 pike, but i was not clear. I was up by Cass Lake last month, and it wasnt as clear as previous years, but thats becuase the ice late.

A few weekends ago, I got a my limit of northerns with the biggest being 8 lbs.

Last weekend, saw several 1-2 pounders and passed...then a 9 pounder followed them in. Didn't come in the hole, but he was on my "good side" and I speared him well under the ice.

Can't wait to try it again this next weekend. I hope I can get one over 10 pounds. I am in competition with my dad, who already has two over 10 pounds. We also compete on who misses the most. He has lost one off the spear and missed one out of 28 northerns speared (which he thinks is terrible). I haven't missed yet, but have only gotten 9 pike. He fishes more than I do in the winter (by far) so I haven't beat him in size and percentage of hits for over 10 years. Last year I was close.

I can't let him win with the biggest fish AGAIN! This HAS to be my year!!

HH

Have you and you father ever thought about passing on some of those mid size 8-12lbs fish and focusing on a trophy, or spearing the smaller fish to help out the balance of the lake? Taking multiple fish in the size is NOT good for the fishery at all. I am a spearer myself,and taking multiple fish in the size range hurts the fishery and gives spearing and spearers a bad rap. Just some food for thought, good luck with the big one.

Went out the last two mornings. Seen a bunch of little ones yesterday, speared one about 22". Went back to the same lake today and set up in a different spot. I had just put the decoys down and was still getting things situated when my wife says "there's one down there!" I didn't even have the cover off the spear yet. "Hurry up, hurry up, it's a nice one!" she says.

In the process of removing the cover I manage to drop it, CLUNK, as it hit the floor. The fish scoots away but comes right back after the sucker minnow. By this time I am finally ready and make a good shot. It ended up being 32".

I got one more about ten minutes later that was 24", then it slowed way down. One more small one came through about an hour later that we watched play with the fake decoy for about five minutes. He would come in close then back away then charge and smack it right in the head. He did it about four times, it was alot of fun to watch.

LOL thats a great story... That will happpen alot of time, they will see u putting the decoy down and be all over it right away.. Nice job with droping the cover LOL i have done that befor also but never got the chance to spear the fishing... Nice fish good Story!!! smile.gif

I hope she was having a great time with it. Its a great thing to be able to start that way during the day. Only problem with having the first fish over 30 inches, is you have to be carefull so you dont get another one bigger then 30.

Great Story grin.gif

Agree with B420. There was another article in the Star Trib sports section regarding rebuilding our Northern populations. I know alot has been said about this already - but spearing the 28 to 39 inch pike cant be good for the balance of the Northern population if the goal is to have quality fish to pursue for years to come.

Good to see a forum about spearing. With these spearing stories my blood got pumping to get out and get some fishing in. Unfortunately I don't have frown.giftime to get out. How many of you use a battery operated spinner?

Keep the stories coming grin.gif.

Any fish over 4-5 pounds will be full of eggs this time of year...as males don't get that big very often.

The lake I fish on is actually quite overpopulated with northerns and sunfish . In the summer I do release most if not all the big northerns, in the winter I seldom let them pass. My father only fishes in the winter (for the most part) so I feel he can take whatver he wants (staying legal).

We could debate how "bad" this is...and I could come back with "How many of you drive big boats (motors) on a small lake? How many of you developed your lakeshore or filled in ponds?" My father has a lot of lakeshore...and gave it to his kids ONLY if we signed an agreement that it will NOT be developed for at least 100 years.

I feel if I stay legal, I should be able to take a nice fish if I see fit.