• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Anyone Been Out Spearing??

bassNspear

ya it does. All the other fish that we have speared there have been big in the bellie. The gurth on them are amazing. And when they come into the hole, there looking to kill the live decoy. Its alot of fun when u see monster pike through the ice spearing.

Bass N Spear, I took my contraption out yesterday and sat for a couple of hours. saw 7 little ones and missed one 2 pounder + or -. First time I've thrown a spear in 2+ years.

The paint on the tarp did not work! Gotta spend the money!

Good Luck!

Kenny

I was wondering about the paint. I didnt think it was going to work as well as the dark cavas. Glad to hear that you ran into some fish. You will get that fish, and when you do you will be happy and all you wanta do is go and get more. Thanks for the information and getting back to me. Glad you found some fish.

I have a question (maybe two) I just picked up a new spear and have not done this for a very long time. What is the best decoy? And can you spear from a perm. fish house if I put in a large hole in the floor a fish/spear house in one if you will? Thanks much.

Your basic red/white decoys are a sure bet wherever you go or a live chub on a harness. As far as the house goes i've seen guys spear fish out of cardboard houses that they put together just keep it dark inside the house and bank the hole as much as you can. If you got snow thats easy here in west central mn it's a rare commodity.good luck

It's good to hear from some fellow spear fishermen. Myself and six other buddies went to Cut Foot Souix early in December. Spearing was pretty good a 30 incher was the biggest. We are planning on going back next year and I'm wondering if anyone has some early season pointers about Cut Foot.

You can look at alot of different decoys as far as spearing. I only use the Bear creek Decoys. Reason that i use these is becuase there there a different model then everyone else. I have posted a link about htem in the Muskie/Northern about them. I will post link under here.

I have been spearing this year for the first time in 8 or 9 years. A friend of mine put a house out on a local lake and gave me permission to use it so I took advantage of it. It's more fun than I remember it being. Lots of fish coming in to the hole. Enough so you can be selective. Some bigger ones coming in, maybe in the 10 lb class but I have yet to hit one of the bigger ones. Not as good at hitting them as I used to be. I have been using the red and white. We have had fish come in to other colors but not as many. We also put down a live sucker decoy with the manual decoy. The fish have been coming in like a freight train and hitting the red and white hard and then moving to the edge of the hole and then coming in and grabbing the sucker. I think the bright color and extra movement brings them running and then they see the sucker. My son and I were out together the other day. I had four clean misses crazy.gif then my son took over the spear. He had a shot at a nice fish for our fifth clean miss laugh.gif. I would have hated to be out speared. We even had one of them hooked on a rod and reel only to be bitten off! laugh.gif Wasn't our day to bring any fish home but what a blast! cool.gif

I was out this morning and the fish were very skiddish, I think due to the ice cracking like crazy. I didn't spear any today. I built a new spear house, 7 x 9 with a two by four foot hole in the middle so it would be easier to have kids, and others with. I wasn't out since saturday and was expecting a lot of ice to chop, I was happy to find that there was only about one inch of ice on the hole. guess it pays to insulate the floor and cover well.

Last saturday, the fish were semi agressive and it was a lot of fun. I dropped the decoy and while reaching for my spear one came in in front of me, about 4 lbs, one then came in under my feet, about the same size and another from my left. I was watching them and another about 6 pounds came from under my feet. All in the hole at the same time, it brought back memories of some fantastic times spearing. I left them alone for about 2 minutes and they mozied out of the hole. I swung the decoy and one came back, so I took that one home. Saw several others, a couple 32 inch plus fish, but nothing too big. Moving to a different lake tomorrow. It hasn't been speared for about 6 years, and there are a lot of nice pike. It can really be fun when the fish haven't seen a decoy before! God luck spearing. Brent

Yes it can be a great time to be able to see fish like that. I love having the ablitly to have 2 or three differrent fish in the hole at the same time. Weird thing about it is that we tend to look at them all different and the different movments and ways they move different from everyone else. Great story, and glad you had fun and getting back into the spearing game.

Good Fishing

Hey Bass N Spear,

Hope you don't mind me highjacking your post! I need a little input from some spearing folk. I've had the following house listed since 12/11.

http://www.fishingminnesota.com/forum/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=923025&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1

I thought it would sell really quick. There have been lots of nibbles, but no takers. Does the price seem reasonable? The house has only been used about 2 dozen times, it's in great condition. Any thoughts?

front_5.jpg

back_3.jpg

inside_2.jpg

bottom.jpg

Within the last week or so the fish have been really been active for me too despite all the changes in barometric pressure. I sure hope this good action we have been enjoying lately lasts until the end of the season! I will be steady in studying on the spear hole no what the fish are doing. Most days you will still learn something even if you don't see many fish. There may be just one thing that happens those slow days that you have never seen or want to learn more about.