• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What does it cost to mount a big crappie?

sparky88

I had one mounted a couple years ago and it was about 200 where I had it done. The guy that did mine was a little more than some of the others in my area but the extra cost was well worth it. I don't expect to get many fish mounted so the price wasn't what I looked at when I was looking for a place to get it done.

The best advice I can give you is to NOT be in a hurry to get it in somewhere. Take your time and do some research. Find someone who comes VERY highly recommended by someone you trust. Definately check some of the taxidermist's mounts to see what you like and what you don't. If you have seen a mount somewhere you really like, go and take a few pictures of it. Also, if the lake you caught that monster in has bigger fish in it, you might want to go back a few more times this winter and try to get a few more in the 14"+ range so you have multiple fish in the same mount...Crappies look best like that because they are a schooling fish. Finally, don't make the price what matters in a mount or you will be disappointed-I learned that the hard way. Make an educated decision not a hasty one because you will treasure that mount long after you paid a little more to get what you want.

Hope this helps,

Justin

A few Drinks and a good sense of humor.

Just kidding. Nice Fish! I've seen places do it for about $10 an inch. Then there is the cost of extras.... Wood, Plaque, Engraving.

very nice fish. I would agree with the $10 an inch range it seems pretty standard. there are a few taxidermists in the area that i can recommend one from reading has done all the mounts that my brother and i have is reasonably priced and he does good work. another in lakefield has come highly recommended and i have seen a few of his replicas and they look great so i would assume his mounts would be equally impressive?

It measured 17" long and weighed in at 2 lbs 15 oz. It almost jumped out of the hole!! I have no clue how it fit through an 8" hole. Didn't even move my transducer! Luck was on my side. I'll get some pics up tomorrow evening. Thanks to all of you for your input. I appreciate it!! grin.gif

I got mine back this summer. Mine was 17 1/8 but he only charged me for 16" as the tail was kinda ratty and he said he'd have to trim bit more than 1/2" off it. Charged me $7.50 an inch. Would have been 120 bucks but I had it done double sided so half again as much. $180 for a double sided mount. Like someone else mentioned take ur time and shop around til u find someone who can do a job you'll be happy with.

I tried posting a pic of it but can't get it to work.

I am no taxidermist, but as long as they are frozen correctly and do not get damaged in the freezer, It shouldn't make any difference how long they stay in the freezer- The taxidermist is going to paint the fish anyways.

I know a few dudes who have 1 or 2 crappies in their freezers for years and they want "just one more nice one" for the perfect mount.

Justin

I had mine wrapped in a wet towel in the freezer for about 10 months and the taxidermist said it was just as good as the fish that are brought in right away. The key is how it is kept frozen. I soaked a towel and wrapped the fish in it and then put it inside two ziplocks that I got most of the air out of when I sealed them up. I made sure that nothing was set on it when it was in the freezer and was very careful with it.

There is some good advice here, with the most important being to research many different taxidermists before you settle on one.

There are good crappie mounts and bad crappie mounts with most of them being bad IMO. Pay close attention to the posture of the fish and how well a taxidermist paints them. You want the crappie to look realistic and relaxed which can be tough to accomplish.

Look around, get references, ask opinions and make a good decision. Definitely don't let cost be a factor in your decision.

Here's a couple that my taxidermist has done. 15 3/4" on the top and 14 3/4" on the bottom. My only complaint is I wish the paint was faded a tad better between the yellow & the white near the tail. Oh well... minor detail.

crappiegill8ad.jpg

crappie1id.jpg

I just dropped off 3 that were all around 14.5 inches. Local guy here in Hibbing is charging me $75.00 for each fish and around $40.00 for the drift wood. Saw some of his fish and they looked great. If anyone wants his # email me jpolcher at uslink dot net.

Quote:

Hanson, those are some nice fish. Does the guy that did them do replicas?

You know... I think he might, but he gets them from a supplier and does the painting himself. I'm not really sure though.

I just dropped a Pintail duck of mine off over Christmas and he was telling me about a northern replica he was doing for a guy and what it was going to cost him. Big bucks! smile.gif