• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

plumbing vent stack question?

lawdog

Noticed my vent stacks have substantial ice on them this weekend. Don't think they are plugged because I haven't heard the drains gurgling, but don't like the ice build up!

My question is, my pipes are straight up and I was told that they should have a U on them so they face down? What is right? It was a pumber who put them in and another plumber who said they should be turned down???

My other question, what's the best way to get rid of the ice? Just knock it off with a hammer or will the plastic break too easy???

I've never heard of putting a bend in them. That's normally done when you vent a furnace or water heater to help keep the rain out of them. The vent should not extend more than 12 inches above the roof. If it does, this may be the cause of your build up. The sewer gas can cool down if the vent extends too high and then frost up, blocking the flow of air through the plumbing system.

As far as removing the ice, You might try a broom handle. Just don't poke anything in there that will fit all the way through when you drop it.

Quote:

As far as removing the ice, You might try a broom handle. Just don't poke anything in there that will fit all the way through when you drop it.

OK, broom is what i used and thought I was following good advice, until the handle fell off the brush and into the stack. mad.gif

NOW WHAT DO I DO? Can I wait until it warms up and cut into the stack in the attic to get to the handle and then patch the stack by gluing in a connector to the PVC pipe? Will that thing fall all the way to the floor? Will my darn drain plug up now? UGGGGGGH!

The handle will have fallen to the lowest point possible. If its a straight pipe to where it connects to the sewer line that where it's at. First find out where it is for sure. Tie a bolt securily to a string and lower it down the stack and go from there. If the stack joins the sewer line past where the stool goes you will have to take it out or you are going to plug everything. Let me know where it is and I'll see what I can figure out. confused.gif

You just have to go fishing for it! Attach several small hooks with variable length leaders to a swivel a split shot or two for weight drop down hole jig a little fish as close to bottom as you can feel tension or weight gently set hook. Multiple hooks are legal for this type of fishing and no license or stamps are required. Good luck! Oh! the limit is one broom handle per year. laugh.gif

Thanks but I think I'm screwed on fishing it out, the handle is totally smooth and I don't think anything will hook onto it...

I'm pretty sure the vent (in fact I know) handles all the plumbing in the new bathroom and there is no way it could get to the stool from there. I think the stack came up from there and over to behind the sinks and then straight up from behind them (if I remember the plumbing right from before the wall was covered and just based on where the roof opening is. I need to look in the attic to make sure but I am almost positive it would just go down to by the sinks and not near the stool or shower even... I really want to wait until warmer weather to have to cut that vent stack and dig this handle out if that's a possibility!

On a sunny day get up on the roof with a mirror. Use the mirror to reflect the sun light down the vent. You will be able to see the broom handle, from there decide how best to get it out. I can think of a lot of ways but the simplest is get a length of conduit just large enough to fit over the broom handle. Now take parachute cord with a lasso and slip it down the conduit and onto the broom handle. Pull it tight using the end of the conduit to tighten the lasso against. Pull everything up at once.

If you need more suggestions just ask.

Is the vent big enough to lower an underwater camera down? If so use the camera to locate the handle and possibly try to get some type of noose or clip attached to it. Probably very difficult to do but worth a try.