• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

24 volt Dewalt tools battery charging

Fireguy

There isn't a whole lot you can do with those batteries. From what I have been told Dewalt is going to discontinue that entire line. The NiCd batteries die out because of heat. Batteries naturally heat up when they discharge which is why NiCd batteries have such a limited life. The larger the volt size the more heat that is displaced in the battery shell which in turn kills the cells. That is why 12 and 14.4V batteries get more charge cycles than a 18V. Dewalt tried to prolong this on the 24V by putting a fan in the battery pack itself. When the tool is being used the battery heats up which activates the fan to cool the pack, but it does little to cool the inside of the cells. I'm afraid there is no solution to the problem with 24V. Another thing with NiCd's is that they have a limited temp. range in which they can charge. When they are too hot or too cold they will not charge.

I've run into the temp. problem with my 19.2 Porter cable drill batteries. If they're too warm or cold, the charger won't charge them until they reach a certain temp. I've had more issues with cold batteries than warm, though.

#1 rule, NEVER charge a hot or freshly worn down battery. You will kill it.

#2, They could come back over time, my 24 volt Bosch battery's are at least 2 and 3 years old, get used a lot and still give satisfactory service, except with the recip saw, it's a battery killer.