• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Walleyes of 2007

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:

caught me mid-cheeseburger

That reminds of a story on URL a few years ago... We were grilling up some bear steaks outside on the weber (just about done) when we heard the bells going off inside the house. After a few minute battle, 4 lines tangled, and an 8 lb northern later we returned outside to find our steaks cooked to the likeness of shoe soles. Always seems to be the case - whether it's pouring a cup of coffee in the duckblind or firing up the grill. Great fish by the way - those are some beauties!

Wow Basscatcher looks like you scored pretty nice at Lake Of The Woods. Pretty good for a your first trip. Don't expect that to happen everytime grin.gif. I am still waiting for one of those to come through my hole up there.

We certainly got spoiled the first night with the 2 big ones. We never expected to get fish like that. That's the way it seems to go though....you get the big ones when you least expect it. At least, that's the way it is for me. smirk.gif

MRMNWALLEYE,

I apologize for keeping a legal walleye, I will make sure never to do it again… I hope you can forgive me..

Here is the reason I kept it, I was fishing for perch in 30FOW with 1 lb test and I saw something on my LX 5 about 12 feet down I brought up my ratso tipped with a wiggler and whammm. I fought the fish for about 10 minutes on a ST. Croix UL. When I got the fish to the hole the blood was pouring out the fishes gill plates. I cut the line and thought I revived him and let him go, about a minute later he floated up through my other hole in my shack.

So MRMNWALLEYE I think you need to yell at the walleye for not swimming off not me….

I am also sorry for not taking a buddy with my fishing so he can take pics. I fish alone about %95 of the time. I really need to teach my lab how to use that new digital camera I got him for christmas...

Man I can still taste those walleye cakes with that dill sauce…

grin.gif

Kinda mushy when then get that big though arent they! Don't get me wrong I've had friends try to fry fish that were 2 big for the pan also, but to make a claim that they tasted so good, is going alittle over-board in my opinion! Legal or not, whats ethical is in your own mind i guess!

What is the big deal with keeping that fish? Honestly?

I don't keep anything bigger than 20" myself, but if someone else does, I ain't gettin my undies in a bunch, I can tell you that! One fish isn't the end of the world.

If you want to get around it being "mushy", fillet it twice into thin strips and I guarantee you won't taste the difference.

Hollier than thou! I just love it! smirk.gif

Perch, nice fish, that is about as fat as they get! 21 inches and 6.4lbs, dat be a fatty.

Thanks Willy...

I thought it tasted pretty darn good. Yeah I dont know what these people wanted me to do, it wasnt going to make it. It wasnt like it was a 29" fish. It was a 21" chunky fish that was fun to catch and fun to eat... End of Story.

Nice fish perch king. Im sure it tasted great. I really wish everyone out there that feels the need to jump on a guy for keeping a legal fish would just stop. No body wants to read your negative posts. Comments about the photos are all anyone is looking for not a lecture about there personal catch and release habits. Keep the pics coming everyone!

Nice Fish Perchking.

My Father caught a walleye last summer that was just short of 30". Very skinny and was just a tad over 6lbs on the digital scale. Released back into the lake.

I also had a bleeder last winter that went just over 30".

I nursed as best I could but she did not respond.

Possibly I/we can take a course on proper fish revival and first aid... grin.gif

I must of prepared the fish right because I nor any others that consumed it found any unusal taste or "mushyness", if that is a word wink.gif

Good Luck...

Thanks OLY and Scupper.

Hey scupper, I am sure we are going to get the abc's on fish revival. I bet the users that think a 21" fish is mushy mostly fish the stocked ponds that are feed dog food for a quarter...

I usually will not keep a fish of that caliber but when it is going to die there is pretty much nothing else you can do with it.

OH no now I am really going to get it.