• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Foundation tips

bellyup

Thinking of adding a new porch and would like some tips on getting the foundation ready to frame. I'm a doit-yourself-type and don't have much experience in this area but am going to give it my best, after some research tongue.gifsmile.gif

I guess I'm not sure what you mean....do you want to do the foundation yourself, or frame the porch? or both....

If you are thinking of doing the foundation yourself, unless it is a post footing type I would re-think that plan...not easy for a diy type deal.

I guess I'm planning on a 3-season. Thinking of doing everything from ground up. Right now I'm just getting some info on doing the foundation. Have experience in most other areas of building const. Heard the term slab on grade, Can you give some insight on how this is done. Would a wood foundation be a better way?

Probably the simplest and most cost effective way would bo to do a post and footing type construction, kinda like framing a deck....but with a porch above instead of decking. Hard to say without knowing what the site looks like whether or not slab on grade would work....even so you would need frost footings around the perimeter, either poured conc. or block. Then a slab is poured inside of this to make the floor. Insulate under the slab and inside the foudation with rigid foam. Lots more excavation and work so not so easy for the do it yourselfer. The post and footing is the most flexible design as it relates to existing conditions.

Hope that helps a little...

Strato is right for a 3 season,your post holes have to be 60 inches deep north of pine city frost purposes.Like he said just like a deck but i'd personally insulate the floor and walls&ceiling.rigid 3/4 in.under the joists,then fiberglass between joists. Good Luck it's pretty easy.