• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

snow tracks

went for a ride this crisp morning(not that I saw that much smirk.gifI did come across a deer kill that had 5 black billed magpies chompin on it but flew off as I approached)but I did come across some unusual tracks........now I'm not an animal tracking expert or anything but I think these tracks belong to an otter(not sure of course,also no water or lakes or creeks around)..I noticed these tracks along the road for about 600 yards or so...they would run,then slide on it's belly...run,and slide...run and slide....for hundreds of yards...not sure why..maybe just having fun grin.gif....jonny

Frame_DSCF6652-1copy.jpg

Frame_DSCF6654-1copy.jpg

Looks like a good size critter what ever it was. you don't have a closer picture of the track do you. also how far apart where the tracks, three to four feet etc.

Once saw tracks like that out in the woods. It came from a deer dragging it hind end in the snow. Don't know if it was hurt or not, wasn't any blood.

no,I didn't take any close ups of the tracks but I was thinking on the lines of a fisher also(was thinking otter) ...the tracks were certainly not from a deer(no deer tracks on the road at all) for sure as the animal jumped in "leaps"(like in the weasel,mink, fisher family,etc.) the area between actual tracks was about 8-10feet or so including the sliding areas...one can see in the first photo where the animal came down on his 2 front feet(foot prints in the beginning of the slide area) and folded them under to start the slide,I was thinking the animal was traveling cross country and was conserving some much needed energy by doing the sliding thing....just a theory grin.gifjonny