• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

frozen hands?

swaneyes

Question

Does anyone have any secrets for keeping hands warm while ice fishing. I will be fishing on a remote trip where having a heater available is out of the question. I will have hand warmer packs but I need advice on what type of glove or mitt I might be able to buy for extreme cold conditions yet not be too clumsy to wear.

8 answers to this question

I just got a pair of ATV gloves from Gerbings for keeping my hands warm while going from point a to b. I didn't get the battery pack for the gloves because I got the hand warmer for that. The hand warmer also keeps bait warm. Great stuff. grin.gif

Quote:

A pair of buckskin choppers with wool liners and the chemical hand warmers in them.

Be sure to bring a set of warmers for each day that you will be out there and maybe an extra pair of liners!

Cliff

Warmest combo I have ever used. Well worth the price of a good set of choppers if you don't already have them.

I've got to agree with Bobby Bass with one additional point: I use a wool liner with the flip-off finger-end - it makes loading the heat pack easier and keeps most of my hand warm even when unhooking fish. Also, I use the toe-warmer packs instead of regular hand warmers: the adhesive keeps them in the mitts very well.

My wife bought me a pair of choppers that are just about the warmest thing I've ever had on my hands. Being a bit arthritic in one hand, believe me, I try to keep them warm.

They're called/made by Jokamuovi Oy and are made in Finland, available at Cabela's... they're waterproof with a fleece liner, and the real beauty of them is that I am able to also fit a pait of wool glove liners inside them as well. Clip the fingertips off the liners, and you can handle baiting hooks, etc. easily. No chemical heater packs necessary, unless it's REAL cold. The waterproof stuff is a rubbery outercoating with a pebbly grain over it for grip. So far, I'd have to say that they're the best things I've found for keeping my hands warm.