• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fords electronic 4X4 drive selector

LoonASea

Question

Yesterday out fishing I needed 4 wheel drive on the ice ,,I moved my 4X4 drive selector to 4X4 Hi and heard a loud thunk ( like My drive shaft snapped) I might add that my rear wheels may have still been turning on the ice (my bad) ,,any way I am now stuck in 4 wheel low and had to limp my way back home ,,all the way home every 100 yards or so the truck would whine and thunk (traveling 20 mph) could my drive selector solenoid be stuck some how??,,any one have a an idea of what to try next before I take it to a tranny repair shop??

Thanks in advance for any input

Randoid

15 answers to this question

I don't think your transmission is at fault, but I believe your transfer case is locked.

Drive truck in a straight line and park it on a level surface, put gear in Neutral, then switch to 2wd.

Wait few seconds then move transmission lever to OD or R, you should be fine.

Quote:

all the way home every 100 yards or so the truck would whine and thunk (traveling 20 mph) could my drive selector solenoid be stuck some how

Oooooh I hate that sound! Driving it in 4wd on dry pavement will cause a condition called "axle wind up". This causes binding on many internal parts of the drive line. Hopefully you didn't drive too far in 4wd as this can build up a great deal of heat in the transfer case causing a breakdown of the lubricants. If you went any distance I'd reccommend changing the fluid when you do get it working.

It is possible that something was damaged in the transfer case if the rear wheels were turning fast when it engaged. But something could be jammed or stuck. Did you try backing up a bit to relieve any binding in the transfer case?

Also, many auto transfer case models have a fuse in the system. I suppose if the situation were just right when it engaged and the transfer case motor had extra pressure on it while trying to engage it possible could have blown a fuse. Probably not the case here, but worth checking. There is a 4WD control module in a Ford Ranger (not sure if thats what you have)but I just replaced a faulty one the other day. The symptoms were the opposite though, it wouldn't go into 4wd and the dash indicator didn't light up.

Let us know what you find!

That's why I refuse to buy vehicles with the "Pushbutton 4WD", the good 'ole floor lever it's always the best.

Some Fords had both.

Also recent trucks have a "servo" to activate the front hubs, so we don't have to get out and lock them manually.

My Dodge didn't lock up last snowfall for some reason, I had a Ford pull me out frown.gif what a disgrace.

Anyway, it never happened before and after.

Couple things here. Since it is electronic shifting, its possible that the shifting mechanism failed and now you're stuck in 4wd, but I think thats highly unlikely.

In order for you to get into 4LO you needed to have the truck in Park or Neutral when you shifted it, OR you put the 4wd selector to 4lo and it stayed there until you parked.

FIrst thing I would do is put your tranny in Neutral, put the switch to 4hi and wait. Then drive a few feeet. This should release the 4lo. Then put it back to 2hi and everything should disengage. If not than you do really have a problem.

The clunk you heard was the transfer case engaging while your drivetrain was spinning. You had one set of gears going one speed and you turned on another set of gears that wasn;t moving at all. You also connected the rear end which was moving with a front end that was not moving. OUCH!! It probably didn't break anything, but it does sound horrible.

If you're stick in 4HI then you don't have a huge problem. You can disconnect ehe front driveshaft (a few bolts on the U-joints) and drive your vehicle as long as you don't go hwy speeds. 4hi isn't made for mroe than 40mph. I would get it to a mechanic right away to find out what the problem is. If you're really in 4LO then you can still drop the driveshaft, but you still won't be able to go more than 25mph without hitting the rev limiter. If you don't have to go far thats fine, but you might as well pay for a tow.

You could check the manual for your truck and find out which fuse controls the SOTF 4wd selector. See if its blown.

I've owned several FOrds in the last 8yrs and never had a SOTF 4wd problem. You can also check out Ford Truck World. Put it to one word and add the dot coma you will find a great site with way more info to help you.

What year and model is this truck? The key for going into or out of 4 lo on esof systems is auto transmission selector in NEUTRAL, vehicle stopped, brake pedal depressed,(the module must see the input from the BOO switch) if you have a manual transmission you must have the clutch pedal depressed as well. If any vehicle speed is sensed by the module it will not complete the 4 lo shift. Is the 4x4 or 4 lo indicator illuminated on the instrument panel? If not and it is stuck in 4 lo you most likely have a transfer case issue, but try shifting using the switch using the above instruction or better yet the ones in your owners manual, depending on the year the backside of the driver side sunvisor had a sticker with the steps.

Good luck

Thanks for the input peole ,,,the truck is a 97 F150 auto ,, fortunatly the roads were snow covered so dry pavement wasnt an issue ,,,I did attempt a few of the ideas mentioned here with no sucess,,so I will limp it to a local tranny shop tomorrow which is only 1 1/2 miles away ,,,one thing to add when I switch to 2 wd its like being in neutral ,,I cant not move unless its in 4X4 hi or Lo ,,,,,the 4X4 lo light will not come on when I have it switched to Lo only 4X4 light works ,,one good thing is the thunk I had while driving yesterday didnt happen today

Not to rain on your parade, but I don't think your transfer case just got better. This system doesn't have a neutral position, if it is neutralizing as you describe when 2wd is selected, there is a problem. This system stores codes in the GEM module for 4x4 operations. The diagnosis should begin there to determine the root cause.

Good luck

If they can't find any codes, or you can't figure out what's going on, I had a 99 F-350 that the electronic module on the transfer case itself went bad at about 85k miles.

Anyways, it was about $200 from a salvage yard, with 3 or 4 bolts to put it in place, right on the outside of the transfer case, piece of cake if that's what it is.

More than likely the transfer case shift motor. Usaully when a module won't be intermintent. There is a nuetral position in the transfer case. what proably happened was the shift motor didn't move the fork inside the T case far enough or the fork is bent.

You must not put you truck in 4X4 very often. My 2000 Ranger will act up if I don't use 4X4 often enough to keep it free. But it is important to be in park or neutral with the brake pedal down to shift into Low range. Also the wire connection that is near the shift motor may have corrosion build up. Unplug ,clean, and reinstall with dialectric grease in the connection. Northern or someone that installs snowplows will have the grease.

I hadn't used 4L for a while and mime wouldn't come out of it either. I would put it in neutral and it just wouldn't come out of 4L. I got out the manual and pressed the brake while in neutral like it said and it came out just fine. 99 F250.

I have a 2001 with the electronic shift. Shortly after I got it I noticed a real problem that Ford has in this system. I emailed the manufacturer to make a suggestion but I don't know if the newer models have fixed the problem. I am instructed by the manual that I can just select 4HI. Shortly thereafter I can see the 4x4 indicator light get illuminated. As an operator I assumed (wrongly) that this meant that the drive is engaged and it is safe to apply power. Unfortunately this is not always the case and there were a couple times it fealt like the gears suddenly meshed just about the time I applied power and there was a very loud and distincly fealt bump. I was informed that the system will not fully engage all components if the two drive axles are not turning at precisely the same speed. Also, when sitting still, the gears may not be fully aligned and so at the moment you begin to move, they can align and engage.

I emailed Ford and suggested that the indicator light should not be illuminated until the system if fully engaged and it is safe for the operator to apply power.

I find that if I shift the transmission into neutral it seems to allow things to move freely enough that things will engage much more easily. Then I gently apply power initially to be sure everything is engaged before giving it the guns.

Bob

I have a 2001 Explorer XLT and in the first year I experienced the same thing you described. I asked my dealer about it and we got things squared away. He did tell me I should engage the 4WD every month or so on a wet road/dirt road and just run it for a few minutes. He made is sound like it was one of those deals where it is made to be used and not doing so may not be the best for it. Since following those instructions, I have not had any trouble. Did use it today - finally getting some serious snow.