• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Winter Whitetails

Was out exploring some bog in a wildlife management area near my home and happened to find a whitetail hot spot. Here are a few sample images from today. The deer were pretty cooperative until the big one in the final image came out and took note of us.

deer3ke7.jpg

deer2lu0.jpg

deer1rv4.jpg

Wow, very nice pics. I would like to have seen that last deer a couple months back when he had antlers he would have been a real beauty (Assuming its a buck). Obviously an older deer though, look at the body size and the sagging back...

I'm thinking buck. That neck still appears to be a bit big in proportion to the head to be a doe. I know the rut's passed, but the secondary rut in December isn't THAT long gone, and that neck could be a bit of a leftover. Also, the bucks that come into our yard here in Ely began shedding their antlers in mid December. We had a 12-pointer before Christmas with one shed antler, and another 8-pointer dropped both by Dec. 18. A little basket rack we've had, like the one in these pics, didn't start dropping his antlers until Jan. 10.

It was taken a few miles north of Duluth off of the Lavaque Rd, which is just west of County Rd 4. There is a nice size wildlife management area called Canosia WMA. I was well off of the trail when I found this group to the south and west of the parking lot. By the mere size comparison with the other deer, I would guess it would almost have to have been a buck that already dropped its rack. When this deer came out from the trees it literally dwarfed the rest of the deer. Wish he would have still been carrying his rack for the picture, but I'll have to be happy with what I was able to get.