• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Found a Near by pit with crappies.

Agronomist_at_IA

Found a pit near my place with crappies in it. Fished it for the first time ever today. Couldn't find any fish and drilled a number of holes. found a submerged old wooden tower, with one large crappie suspended in between the beams. Dropped down a pimple with a genz worm tipped with a wax worm, fish wouldn't even look at it. So then I tried a small jigging rap that was about and inch long. When I dropped it down and jigged it a pumkin seed came out of nowhere and hit it. Dropped it down again jigged it and hit the crappie, crappie left and my only small jigging rap gets #&$&%^$ caught on the beams and my line breaks trying to pull it up. After this the only thing that came across on the camera was hundreds of small 3-4ich pumkin seeds. The bottom that I was fishing seems to be sticky with some weird fuzzy cotton looking stuff all over the bottom. I really haven't fished for crappies very much (I mostly fish for slab blue gills due to them being avalible in all most all ponds and pits here in Iowa), so what do most of you use for a presentation, and what structure or things do I need to look for to find some good size slabs in the pit.

jigging something like a swedish pimple w/ a minnow head and deadsticking a forage minnow with a full or similar jig are two techniques i tend to use the most. seems to work pretty good. plain red hooks seem to be working good this year too. as far as depths. Crappies are usually in real deep drop off's in the winter. 30-45 feet close to where there is a steady drop.

i'm no expert on crappies but i was out one night my buddy was useing a crappie minnow and i had a small sucker and i got a few nice slabs in a short time he got nothing i joked that his bait wasn't big enough so try changeing the size i was jigging with one of those jigs with the rattle tube(buck shot rattle jig) on them seemed to work that night good luck