• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

those that use a WB or a fall away rest

delmuts

I've always used a release, as far as the rests i had a WB for three years had to deal with vanes getting really wavy ecspecially shooting quik spins so i finally got rid of that darn thing and put a ripcord fall away rest on and is the only way to go in my opinon. My groups got way tighter and no more vane problems.

The problem with finger shooting is the amount of extra movement you put on the arrow when you release it. There's 2 dimensions of arrow movement and by shooting a release you eliminate most of the errors creatyed by shooting fingers. Some containments style rests don't really work for this. Thats why finger shooters have rests that are more forgiving in the side-to-side movements of the arrow.

I'm not sure what to recommend cause I'm not that familiar with your options. You should check out hso_archery_forum. Google that. There is almost too much archery info and opinion there. Maybe you can find a better answer. Lots of finger shooters and traditional shooters too.

I don't personally use a WB but both my wife and one son have used them. I already changed out my son's and my wife's will probably go this year. The arrows just don't seem to fly right out of them. I use a Golden Key Futura Hunter Supreme and that's what I switched my son's out with. It seems to keep the arrows flying straight and greatly reduces vane damage. It's an old rest but if you go to Golden Key Futura's site, they still have it available.

I have a ripcord drop away I like it alot it gives me a great smooth arrow flight. I used a WB for 5 years and just recently switched the rip cord rest. It is nice because it has a arrow stopper at the top so your arrow can't fall off. My buddy shoots fingers and he uses a rip cord and has very good results.

delmuts

You can still shoot fingers with a WB. The drop aways will work much better with a release. The biggest factor is the way the arrow flexes upon release. For a finger shooter, there is more side/side movement, for the release, it is an up/down flex. The WB, with is surrounding bristles, will act like a flipper style for the finger shooter...and react like a fork style for a release shooter.

good luck..

Quote:

delmuts

You can still shoot fingers with a WB. The drop aways will work much better with a release. The biggest factor is the way the arrow flexes upon release. For a finger shooter, there is more side/side movement, for the release, it is an up/down flex. The WB, with is surrounding bristles, will act like a flipper style for the finger shooter...and react like a fork style for a release shooter.

good luck..

Right on. Fear not the WB with fingers. You'll like it. I'll just about guarantee it.

Personally I like the WB. About 3 yrs ago I switched and at this time have not intentions of changing. Yes, there may be a an issue of a few feet per second lost using a WB and Yes there may be a few vanes damaged after extensive shooting but I feel the advantages of a WB far outweigh other arrow rests. I hunt from stands and have on several occasions (far too many) sat in a tree stand from 7AM til 7PM. I try and watch the arrow but in the past found sometimes it fell off the rest and I did not notice it. If an animal came by I am sure I would have been too excited to check the rest to see if the arrow was properly seated, with a WB it is always in the same spot. In the past some times it fell off the rest and it sounded like a gun going off in the bush, I know it wasn't that loud and some mole skin helped but it did make a noise.

For me, I will give up the few ft/sec and change the vanes when they become damaged (I use plastic vanes). This is want is nice about hunting there are SO many variations and to each their own.

I use a fall away rest (but I shoot with a release). The WB seem to make a lot of noise but that's what my dad had put on his new bow. They are nice because there is no way that your arrow can fall off of the rest. However with the noise and resistance I went with the fall away.

I think it boils down to a WB being a great hunting rest that is effective at eliminating some of the many potential hunt ruining variables, while a drop away offers better accuracy and speed.

i finally got the chance to shoot the bow i've been looking at with a WB rest on it. i was impressed and happy with the results!luckily the guys' draw was very close to mine, even thou he shoots with a release.( i shot fingers)the arrow seemed to fly very true, and consistent.( my limit was 15 yds) just thought i would let you guys know! del

Sounds like a lot of good things to say about Whisker Biscuits for finger shooters. If you are still thinking about a drop away and are worried about the arrow falling out while you are hunting, I know that there are some drop aways that you can lock in the raised position while the bow is not drawn but they still drop away when you draw back and shoot. They also have guards across the top so the arrow can't fall out. My brother has one and I think it is a Ripcord but I am not sure.

Hope this helps.

I have a drop zone rest and I find it doesn't make alot of difference which position the feather is in. I prefer odd feather down because of clearance issues with the sight. Whatever position you choose it wouldn't hurt to always keep it consistant, as this should help with accuracy.