• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

propane tank leaking

arctic_scrap1

Propane like most any other gas will expand when warmed. If the tank was filled too far when at a cooler temp it will expand and bleed out when warmed. If its not full and leaking when warm it could be a leaky valve. Depending upon the age and cost of the tank you could look at having it tested and reapaired or just replace it.

Quote:

Propane like most any other gas will expand when warmed. If the tank was filled too far when at a cooler temp it will expand and bleed out when warmed. If its not full and leaking when warm it could be a leaky valve. Depending upon the age and cost of the tank you could look at having it tested and reapaired or just replace it.

WHAT?

While its true that gases expand when warmer a tank will and should not "bleed" off. However the tank does have an expansion valv that will trip and vent the entire tank when pressure gets to high. Believe me there is no question when this happens.

The easiest way to find where the leak is is to spray some soapy water all over the valve Where evre you see bubbles there is a leak. As you are looking at the connection on the valve there is a srew on the left side make sure it is tight. Any thing else and I would probably get a professional opinion on whether it can be fixed. I have a hunch that most will reccommend replacing the valve (around $20). On a side note lets check all this stuff outside and away from any open flame!!

Quote:

WHAT?

While its true that gases expand when warmer a tank will and should not "bleed" off. However the tank does have an expansion valv that will trip and vent the entire tank when pressure gets to high.

Air, first off there is a difference between an expansion valve and a pressure relief valve. I'm sure you know that! The pressure relief valve is what I think you meant to say. But what you described hasn't been the case in my experience. I have in the past maintained propane powered vehicles that had every kind of safety do-hickey you could think of on them. There may be valves out there that do that, but normally the way they operate is that if the tank presure rises over a certain preset pressure, the relief valve opens to release a small amount of vapor. That release keeps the pressure from building up too much inside the tank. Once the excess pressure has been released, and lowered back down to the preset pressure of the relief valve, the relief valve closes automatically. I'm not aware of any that would totally vent the entire tank as that would be a bit dangerous in itself.

There is a recall out there on some valves that were accidently releasing liquid instead of vapor and frezing in the open position. I'd rather not post the recall numbers myself but they are easily found on a Google search.

I did mean to say pressure relief valve.

I have seen one many years ago that tripped. The guy bought a new tank and had it filled elseware (this was well before OPD). He said his grill was acting up that night when he went to use it. The next day he went to fire it up and it wouldn't light, The tank was empty. When I tried to fill it propane just poured out the valve. I guess from that experience I took for granted that they opened up and stayed that way. I stand corrected!!!

I vote for by a new one. $20 and your time to replace the valve or $30 and an excuse to head to the Hardware store. You never have enough excuses!!

I get a few every once in a while that will leak in the same place for a few seconds and then "seal" up. Its really common for the packing to leak around the shaft that connects to the handwheel (triangular knobby thing that you turn).