• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2000 polaris sportsman starting ?

arcticcat400

well i have a 2000 sportsman 500 that used to run and start good until a while ago if i leave it in the heated garage it starts just fine but if its sits out in the cold for even just an hour or so i hit the start button and i can hear it spinning but not actually kicking over like that starter aint engaging or sumthin i have recently put a new battery in so it isnt that so can someone please help me with this any help is greatly appreciated thanks

ok heres an update i worked on the wheeler tonight and got the foot step loose,clutch cover pulled off and the 2 bolts on the starter right behind the clutch but i couldnt get one of them out because the clutch is in the way so do i need to pull the clutch off or what and if so how any help is appreciated thanks

I used to have the same machine as you and had similar problems. I also had to remove and clean the starter. You will need a clutch puller to remove the clutch. It is relatively easy to do with the tool, it screws in and the clutch will come off. I hope this helps, buy or borrow the clutch puller.

well i got the starter pulled and cleaned tonight when i took it apart and sprayed some cleaner in it then dumped it out and when i dumped it out alot of dirt ran out with the cleaner then i re sprayed it and blew it out and put it back together waiting till tomorrow to test it