• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. 😀

• RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
arcticcat400

2000 polaris sportsman starting ?

well i have a 2000 sportsman 500 that used to run and start good until a while ago if i leave it in the heated garage it starts just fine but if its sits out in the cold for even just an hour or so i hit the start button and i can hear it spinning but not actually kicking over like that starter aint engaging or sumthin i have recently put a new battery in so it isnt that so can someone please help me with this any help is greatly appreciated thanks

Starter bendex needs to be cleaned and lubed (or replaced)

I would take the starter off and clean and lube the bendex. That should fix it, if not, time for a new one

I'll third that motion. It happened to a friend of mine when we were at LOW a couple weeks ago. I was very happy the Polaris 500 have a pull cord too.

thanks for the help but im not familiar with this machine so wheres the starter even at? the bendix? and also my rope broke off so i have no pull start i tried taking the recoil off the other day loosened all the bolts but it wouldnt pull off????

Your best bet might be to take it in and have it looked at then, or check out hsolist for a manual that could shed a little light on things.

ok heres an update i worked on the wheeler tonight and got the foot step loose,clutch cover pulled off and the 2 bolts on the starter right behind the clutch but i couldnt get one of them out because the clutch is in the way so do i need to pull the clutch off or what and if so how any help is appreciated thanks

I used to have the same machine as you and had similar problems. I also had to remove and clean the starter. You will need a clutch puller to remove the clutch. It is relatively easy to do with the tool, it screws in and the clutch will come off. I hope this helps, buy or borrow the clutch puller.

well i got the starter pulled and cleaned tonight when i took it apart and sprayed some cleaner in it then dumped it out and when i dumped it out alot of dirt ran out with the cleaner then i re sprayed it and blew it out and put it back together waiting till tomorrow to test it