• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

BURR I'M COLD!!!!!!

FrontenacPike

Hey guys I need a little help. I recently just bought a Coleman Sport Cat heater for my frabill. I'd swear I'd be warmer if I rubbed two sticks together. If your thinking about getting one of these for your shack....DON'T. I need some suggestions for heating a 2 man Frabill portable. I know my best bet is a 20lb LP tank but boy do thoes get heavy on a long distance drag to my spot. Any one have any suggestions on a light weight heater that can toast me out of my shack.

Buy a 10lb tank.....1/2 the weight and all the punch of a 20lber. A sunflower on low usually melts ice inside my 2 man Fish Trap. My Buddy doesn't quite get it done on cold days like this. Another thing, the pilot light on my Buddy often blows out due to drafts under the skirt unless I bank my house. The Sunflower isn't affected by drafts and allows me to fish faster. Flip the top down and fish.

just purchased a mr heater cooker today to replace the little heater I had for my portable itwas between the that and a little buddy heater and the coleman power cat glad I went with the heater cooker kept it well hot in the house tonight . menards has the little buddy on sale for 62.00 bucks right now but the mr heater cooker is about 1.5 the btu's for 20.00 less

I'm with mjgrose, just by a Mr. heater sunflower heater and runit on low with a 5 or 10 pound tank and you should never get cold as you can turn it up higher if needed. The cooker will offer the same heat ranges. I personally wouldnt bother with the buudies large or small. Have friends with them and when it gets cold like its supposed to be in MN neither one of them will do the job. the buddies are nice for camping when it iwsnt below freezing but not good for larger portables when ice fishing. Just my .02

I just bought a Coleman Sportcat Heater this fall. The reason that I bought it was that it uses a catalytic heating system as opposed to the the traditional propane heaters. The benefit of a catalytic style heater (also the buddy heaters) is that no CO (carbon monoxide)is produced by these heaters. After getting carbon monoxide poisoning last year when a buddy took me out in his fish shelter (my first time in a shelter) I decided that I would rather freeze than breathe that CO again. The byproduct of a catalytic heater is not carbon monoxide, but carbon dioxide which you still want to vent, but it will not make you sick or kill you like CO will.

I took this heater camping with me earlier this winter while the temps were in the lower 20's. I used it (trial run) inside a 4 man dome tent with big screens in the celing and the bottoms of the doors cracked open. When I woke up in the morning I would guess that the temp was about 50 or 60 degrees and I was sweating (also, I slept through the night without waking which doesn't happen for me when camping in sub freezing temps). Also, I did not have any symptoms that I had when I got CO poisoning in the fish shelter.

I used the Sportcat this morning when the temps were -2 inside of a 70x70x80 portable with no floor and it kept the temp probably around 35 or so (probably a lot warmer at the celing). Warm enough that I could fish with only a t shirt and a couple of fleeces and no gloves (I left a third fleece and my coat outside of the shelter all morning). My fishing holes also remained ice free the whole time.

Will it make your shelter 50 or 60 degrees when the temps are near 0? No, but it will keep it above freezing.

Will you get CO poisoning from using it? Never.

The one thing that I dont like about it is that it only uses the 1 pound bottles of propane, but overall I am happy with it's performance.

I've got a 1060 (10' x 6') clam, with a Mr Heater cooker on a 1lb tank, and it'll last 3-4 hours on low. And I can cook hotdogs for the kids when they get bored. I've had it for years, and it's never let me down.

Tool

Hey guys thanks for everyone that shot a post up. I ended up buying a Mr Heater cooker. Took it out this morning and I love it. Outside temp was 2 deg, inside temp well over 70 in about 4 minutes. Works great, next time I'm going to bring the eggs and bacon for a little ice breakfast. Once again thanks everyone

Well guys one last post. My second day out using my new Mr heater somewhere inbetween my truck and my fishing spot for the day the stand that hold the heater fell out of my shack. I noticed that I had lost it as soon as I got to my spot, so on the way out I retraced my footstep to a T, no such luck. I'm guessing someone either found it and knew what it was or they thought it was garbage and threw it away. So anyways I was pretty bummed out about loosing this much needed part, so that night I went to mrheater.com. I wrote them an email asking if they sold just the stand. The next morning I got a phone call from one of their reps and she took all my information..name..address...purchase date, and then she told me that it would be on my doorstep in 7-10 buisness days. I then asked her what I owed, she told me "not a thing, we appreciate your buisnees and want to make sure our customers are happy". Wow I said to her THANKS. When it comes to customer service Mr Heater is definetly #1 in my book.

Big Thanks to Mr Heater.