• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. 😀

• RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
Cheers

New purchase E.F.I. or Carb ??

I am looking at a new bike and am wondering if EFI is worth the extra price and what the benifits are. Please advise.

In my experiences the EFI gets a little better gas milage, starts easier in the winter time, no need for altitude(sp) adjustment, and a little better throttle response. On the down side if something does go wrong in that area it's a hell of a lot easier to fix a carb than fuel injection.

I bought a 07 Sportsman 500EFI, and I love it. It always fires right up, has quick throttle response, and seems to do better on fuel.

The fuel injection also does not need the "warmup time" as the carbs do. Just fire it up and go! No waiting involved.Also you don't have to worry about your carb getting varnished from old crappy gas.

Quote:

The fuel injection also does not need the "warmup time" as the carbs do.

I’m not quite sure about that. I think you’d be doing a disservice to yourself by not letting your machine properly warm up, winter or summer. If not for the motor the transmission needs it. I’m not sure about your machine but mine will idle high until it is warmed up.

"bike", I'm assuming you mean wheeler? One other thing to take into account is the $600+ price difference between the two. You won't have to re-jet (carb model) unless you go to the Rockies or something. No matter what you have, let it warm up properly. I think probably the gas mileage and the throttle response would be main differences you'd notice when riding the two.

Quote:

The fuel injection also does not need the "warmup time" as the carbs do. Just fire it up and go!

This might be the truth, but any internal combustion engine should have some warm up time before it is put to use.

Also, what brand wheeler are you looking into, and what size. The reason I ask is if you are looking new, there may not be a choice between the two. The manufactures are starting to lean toward the EFI, and not giving the carb option.

You guys are right about the warm-up time, but what I was getting at was you do not have the cold blooded killing of the engine like you sometimes do with the carb models.

I had the opportunity to drive a Suzuki King Quad 450 about a month ago and I have to say that it was the smoothest running quad I have ever ridden. It fired right up and didn't miss a beat. It was down on power a little from the Suzuki Vinson that I used to have, but had plenty of low end grunt if you would decide to put a plow on the front end.

After riding the KQ, my next machine will definitely have EFI.

Out of the big bore 4x4 atv's there isn't much left for carb machines. The only one I know of is the one I have, the Kawasaki brute force. I have no problem with it. The EFI machines seem to be harder to mod, but they are the future for all atv's. I wouldn't choose an atv for carb or EFI, I choose for what I plan to do with it. Research and ride the machines you are looking at and choose from there.

down side of EFI is if your battery dies there is no kick/pull starting it ,,,a jump is the only way to start it

Randoid

Not if you have the Suzuki Kingquad, it has a pull start!I think the Honda Rincon, and Arctic Cat 700 (same engine as the Kingquad 700) has a backup pull starter also? The polaris EFI's do not have a backup starter as well as the Bombardier 500,650, and 800.

EFI = Electronic fuel injection ,,,, no battery ,,,no electronics ,,I have a EFI Harley battery goes dead ,,call a tow truck

Randoid

Quote:

EFI = Electronic fuel injection ,,,, no battery ,,,no electronics

Hold on there! No battery doesnt necessarily mean you cant have EFI. Arctic Cat has has a batteryless EFI for several years on their snowmobiles. I cant honestly say if it is used on their ATVs but the technology surely does exist.

That being said, I still prefer a properly tuned carbureted machine for its simplicity for my own use.

Quote:

down side of EFI is if your battery dies there is no kick/pull starting it ,,,a jump is the only way to start it

Randoid

That is not entirely true. My 07 Polaris Sportsman 500 has a pull start, and that is one of the reasons I bought that instead of a 700.

Sorry, I did not know that polaris had a backup pull rope on the EFI 500.Learn something new everyday! grin.gif

I didnt mean to imply they dont have a pull or kick start option,,just that with out a battery ,,,no electronics hence no fuel injection,,unless ther is a magneto or generator for this purpose

Quote:

Quote:

Randoid

That is not entirely true. My 07 Polaris Sportsman 500 has a pull start, and that is one of the reasons I bought that instead of a 700.

With no battery to kick in the pump and injectors your pull rope does little more than tire you out. Don't believe me, go unhook your battery or throw a dead one on and try it out. Polaris EFI systems need juice to the battery. Not trying to sound like a polaris hater, on the contrary I have an EFI ATV and snowmobile both Polaris.