• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Makin ice?

CAJ

I hope you guys in Minnesota like the temps this morning. It is - 23 here in NE Montana with now ind. Should set the ice in a downward motion now. Fish safe. Whats your temps in Northern Minnesota?

My explorer was reading -4 this morning in the Brainerd Lakes area. It's gonna be a cold one the next couple of days. It was kind of a nice feeling stepping outside of my house this morning and having my nostrils freeze in the first sniff.

Thanks for showing your face Winter!!

wink.gif

CA

-7 with a windchill of -18 here in The Metropolis of Cook!!! I'll be heading out onto Myrtle lake in Orr tomorrow morning and Sunday morning. I was out two weeks ago and there was 11" of ice. Then I tried to go out to the same lake on New Years Day (after the rain/sleet/snow on New Year's Eve) and the ice was making way too much noise underneath my machine. Every step I took caused a snapping sound under me so I got the heck off the lake. It blew my mind how there was 11" the weekend before and then the ice sounded like it was going to bust with every step a week later. There was a LOT of weight on that lake with all the rain we had before the snow came. I'm thinking it was a layer of ice ontop of the true ice that was cracking and making me think it wasn't safe. Either way I didn't stick around long enough to drill a hole. I yelled for the dog and we zipped back across the lake to our hunting shack and went home. If somebody on shore was watching me they must have laughed their butts off. They would have seen a guy walking very slowly around the ice and then seen him run like a bat out of hell to his machine and speed away. Hopefully tomorrow I don't hear any cracking. At least not any of the "bad" kind of cracking sounds. I don't mind the popping when ice is being made, but I don't like the cracking when ice is breaking!!!