• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Mr. cook heater propane probs

frabillfisher

Question

I got the 5 ft attactchemnt hose for me mr cooker but got the wrong one so i needed to get 2 more pipe attachemnts to make it work...i put thread sealer on all the treads and hooked it up....the tank is full but im still not getting enough propane..anyone know what the problem is???

23 answers to this question

Theromcouples can go out just like that. First make sure it is close enough to the flame. (it didnt get bent when moved did it?) Secondly how much thread sealer did you put on? Maybe some got pushed thru? Try the 1 lber and see if that still works if it does rule out the thermocouple and recheck your hose.

Quote:

I got the 5 ft attactchemnt hose for me mr cooker but got the wrong one so i needed to get 2 more pipe attachemnts to make it work...

Thats kind of a red flag....I say your problem is in your make shift setup. Make sure all of the fittings are screwed in far enough it's probably the one going into the heater it may not be seating all the way. Or if one of your EXTRA fittings was a lantern post make sure thats tight also.

Your fuel is being restricted somewhere in your setup.

Why didn't you get the right hose.

Well i got it for christmas last year and i just got around to putting it on this year that being said it was to late to take back and i wasant going to buy a whole new hose...i put a one pound cylinder on and it worked fine, just wondering since you dont need a regulator for the 1 poundrs would it hurt if it has one on for the 20 pound tank? Like i said i put pipe tape on the threads and screwed them all in tight and snug? Not sure i wont be needing the portable for a while now anyways with this cold weather i'll stick to the perm but need to get it working...thanks for the help guys

I have the same problem with extended hose for mine. It seems that the tolerance for the needle valve inside the end of the hose that attaches to the heater fitting or the extension that you put on is not very tight. I've tried several hoses and they all seem to have this issue. As soon as you put a 1 lb cylinder onto the heater/cooker the gas flows nicely. If you do find a good extension hose these days you are very lucky. Bring a backup 1 lb cylinder just in case!

I had the same issue with mine when I got it. Now I do not know why (I just got lucky trying different things)But I found that when shutting down the heater shutting off the tank valve and letting what is in the hose run out untill the heater shuts off by its self and then when I want to start it again open tank valve and let hose purge a little before lighting it. I never have this issue any more. I do not know if the left over gas in the hose gets bad or? or why this works but it has for me. This is with a 8 foot hose I never have a issue with my 3 foot hose.

Quote:

It will light and if i hold the button in it will stay lit but it wont stay lit on its own sorry about not being clear on that

Had the same problem on my sunflower, put in a new thermocoupler and it works fine now.

Quote:

Quote:

Sounds like a thermocouple problem to me

I'd agree.

If it lights with the button held in, it's getting gas.

So it's a intermittent thermocouple problem... confused.gif

The problem is in your setup it could be the extra regulator or one of other parts you have added not seating all the way.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Sounds like a thermocouple problem to me

I'd agree.

If it lights with the button held in, it's getting gas.

So it's a intermittent thermocouple problem... confused.gif

The problem is in your setup it could be the extra regulator or one of other parts you have added not seating all the way.

I agree that doubling up on the regulators is not a good plan and probably is, or will, cause some problem. But, if it lights and then goes out when the button is released, that symptom sure fits with a bad (or maybe just loose) thermocouple.

It's not clear to me from reading the thread if a 1lb cyl has been tried after this hose thing, or if that reference is in regard to last year just after he got it.

If the OP has recently tried a 1lb cyl and it still works fine that way, then it's not the thermocouple.

Yea I just tried it with a one pounder recently and it worked fine...im thinking about trieing to take the regulator of that came on the hose if i can and try that...not sure...its a 5ft hose if that matters...why would the buddy heater line make hoses with a regulator on them if you dont need it?....

Dunno, but another regulator should not be necessary.

The pressure inside a 1lb cylinder is exactly the same as in a 20lb cylinder, or a larger cylinder for that matter.

I bought a hose to connect a 20lb cylinder to a small LP gas grill and it does not have a regulator on it. The hose I got has a POL (the old-style tank fitting) on one end, and a male thread that is the same as a 1lb cylinder on the other end. Sounds like that is what you need...

I was going to look on the Mr. Heater HSOforum and get you a P/N of what you should be looking for, but it was so slow I gave up.

Quote:

im thinking about trieing to take the regulator of that came on the hose if i can and try that

Make sure the hose can handle the higher pressure.

The pressure going through a regulated hose for a heater of this size is around a half a psi. A tank at 0 degrees will have about 20 psi and at 70 degrees it will be around 100 PSI.

Mr Heater Sunflower heaters do not require a additional regulator on the tank.. they operate off high pressure and are regulated at the high - med - lo knob...

While this may not be 100% of your problem it certainly isn't helping things any.

My hose for my mr heater cooker does not have a regulator on it.

marine_man