• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

DNR top 10 Walleye Lakes.

bassNspear

Pepin, man that lake is really something, but it is so productive that it's hard to get a bite at any time of the year. It's a freakin' shad factory.

These ten lakes are very special and really make MN "THE" walleye state in the country. 40% of walleye production comes from these ten lakes, Mille Lacs obviously being the jewel. The DNR HSOforum says Mille Lacs has 3-4 pounds of walleye per acre and regularly produces more walleyes than all the state's hatcheries combined! Nothing but a giant spawning shoal so it figures.

Siiigggghhh. Now I want to be out on the ice, waiting for that big old slot walleye to come on the flasher....

Eyehawk,

There is no slot on Basswood, but there is a one over 20 inch limit like there is statewide, in Jackfish Bay, Pipestone Bay, Back Bay, Hoist Bay, and I believe Wind Bay. The no size limit is only where the northern pike season is open year around. The regs are very vague on this.

As for one of the top average size walleye lakes in the state, that would have to be Burntside Lake by Ely.

I know this, Great Outdoors. I am just greatful I get to fish with some very nice locals and they have never disappointed me with bad fishing, because we always limit out with nice fish and have a good time. There is a slot for northerns 24-36"? Why? The lake is huge, just like Mille Lacs, you can't tell me there is not an abundant number of huge northern pike in Basswood because of its sheer size. Who really goes there to fish northern, besides a few Ely locals, because majority people who visit Ely or are from the area fish walleye. But whatever I guess.

Bluegills1512,

I will check on this slot limit for northerns tomorrow. Northern season on Basswood closes the same time as the regular fishing season, on certain bays, as do walleyes. Walleye stays open until approximately April 14th, and Northerns are open year around on others with no slot limit. I'll get back to you for clarification.The regs are extremely vague, and you have to go to 2 different sections to find them. I called the DNR and complained about this last summer and they said they would work on it. We'll see!!!