• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Little Atom Users

Bob Horn

I was wondering how you guys are doing using the jigs and plastics. I haven't done a lick of ice fishing this year and was wondering how you guys like them that have used them. We don't have any ice our way but next week looks good. You guys are hogging all the cold, send some are way and share. smile.gifLittle Atom

Bob

As usual, they are working well... Having fun monkeying around with a lot of different presentations with the plastics..

I and probably a lot of others talked to Rick about the eyelets though... That paint needs to get out of the jig eye.. Too darn tough to clean out, especially if you wait until your on the ice...

I think the painter got a little spray happy. smirk.gif You have to use eye busters. I stuck my fingers 3 times before I got out my eye busters. That's some pretty tough paint on there!!! I'm sure next year it will be different. It's just a small inconvenience.

Quote:

I and probably a lot of others talked to Rick about the eyelets though... That paint needs to get out of the jig eye.. Too darn tough to clean out, especially if you wait until your on the ice...

Funny stuff... I just cleaned the eyes out on about 14 Optic Stealths the other day. I know... its not fun.

I'm not complaining though because its worth it. I love that lure. smile.gif

I've had the paint chip off a few of mine and the hook has loosened up in a couple of them. Otherwise they're working okay for me. I have a bit of trouble with getting a hookset when I use the Optic Stealths with the tail things that look like tadpoles.

Quote:

I have a bit of trouble with getting a hookset when I use the Optic Stealths with the tail things that look like tadpoles.

Try not to hook so much of the plastic onto the hook. I try to hook it a little bit into the ball leaving a bit of hook exposed. I must have iced 70-80 pannies on Saturday on the Optic Stealth and didn't have hook up problems. It was a finesse bite as well.

Here's a photo (hard to see) of how much of the plastic I have hooked.

010607lacrappie2ik8.jpg

That paint in the eylet is a pain. When I use the eyebuster it scrapes too much paint off the jig very annoying. I love the plastics. I am doing way too much damage to the paint on those lures though trying to remove the paint from the eyelet. Anybody have a better way? Maybe it's the type of eyebuster I'm using.

I have been taking fingernail clippers and pinching into the paint while wiggling the clippers back & forth just underneath the eyelet. Its not perfect, but I do believe that clipers scoring and cutting through the paint makes for a cleaner removal.

Its a lot of work but I am still very happy with the craftmenship of these lures. Better that the paint wears like iron rather than peeling like vinyl. And Rick is a fantastic person to deal with, too.

I picked up a new gizmo at Sportsmans Warehouse that is an electric element that heats up and burns the paint off. It is about the size of a majic marker and runs off 2 AA batteries. Kinda spendy ....$18 but what good pruduct isnt. Here is another close up of a nuggie

Mar312006013.jpg

Perchjerker, is that the same thing as the plastic worm tool that mends the plastic? That's a great idea. I'd spend $18. in a heart beat not to keep sticking my fingers trying to open any jig eyes. Nice photo of the nuggie. They Rule!!!

It is called the Power Zap tool. It said something on the package about cutting plastics so I am thinkin you could use it to mend them too. It also works great to cut your line especially those tough braided lines.

Optic Stealths have been working as usual. Fishes small yet drops heavy, gotta love them on gills!

I've also been using the Nuggies, Wedgees and Micro-Noodles quite a bit too. Excellent replacement for live-bait and you can get some wicked action with some of these plastics!

Quote:

I haven't seen the Nuggies before. Are they too big for gills?

The Nuggies will work on both crappies and gills. First drop down today and a nice gill just crushed my Flutter Bug and Pink Nuggie. Perch also like them too... as do those hammer-handle pike grin.gif

Quote:

I haven't seen the Nuggies before. Are they too big for gills?

No, not at all.

You might think they are too big by looking at them but bluegills have no problem eating them. In fact, I have released plenty of 5-6" bluegills that didn't think a Nuggie was too big. smile.gif