• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Aqua Vu- Infared vs. Spectral Lights

SWMuskeye

Question

HI Folks,

My hen bought me a base model Scout with Infared lights for XMAS, but I haven't used it yet. Now I have been researching them and found out that the Scout 2 has spectral lights.

Who has seen a comparison of the two light sources? I primarily fish after work (already dark) for eyes and crappies. Should I drop a little more for the scout 2?

I appreciate the responses.

3 answers to this question

Funny to hear your story as my wife bought me one for my Birthday just two days ago. Of course I had researched the heck out of them to the point of confusion. The guy at Marine General in town here (Duluth, MN) said that the bottom line is that if it is pretty dark water and it is nighttime you might as well switch to your flasher. I went back to Gander Mountain to try and upgrade to the next unit up from the scount and they only had $500.00 units and I did not want to pay that much. So they ended up saving me money as I returned it and bought a Marcum VS250 for $20.00 less than the scount. It has the same IR lights but has a bigger screen (Sony), a better case, a cable reel type set up which makes it more convenient, and an adjustable ballast that allows for up/down angle adjustment. You just have to get one of the Aqua-Vu tripods ($9.99) which allows for easy direction control. I messed around trying to move the cable by hand and it is tough. With the tripod I had my lure in sight down at 18 ft immediately....and when the fish came after my bait I felt like a little kid again. Fun stuff.

Joe

I have the Scout SRT (also a birthday gift from the Mrs.) and I have used it side by side of with the IR light models. Yes it is better, but not much, with the SR you can see 12 inches, and with the IR you see 6. So like I just told my freind who is buying one, the entry level cameras do 90% of what the upper end models do so I would suggest save the money and go with the $150 scout.