• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fish house heater

cold one sd

Question

I'm thinking of putting a ventless Reddy Heater in my new dropdown. Does anyone here use this brand? Any comments or recomendations. I have always used the type that vent through the roof and I want to try something else. Are they safe? Thanks guys.

confused.gif

10 answers to this question

Personally, no, I don't think they are safe, I have been in plenty of houses with them, it just doesn't make sense to me how can you have an open propane flame burning with out venting it.

Then there is the issue of heat circulation (the holes freeze over, your feet are cold but the top bunk is 85 degrees).

I don't want to use a non-vented heater, but I have read so many posts from people saying that is what they are using. I checked with the local propane dealer and for an Empire direct vent rated for 10k BTUs, they want $625.00. They said another $100.00 at least to install it. I went to Menards and found one made by Empire that is 18k BTUs for $375.00I would also need the vinyl siding kit and the LP conversion kit which is another $80.00. I wonder how the one at Menards would work out. This is the first new ice house I have had and I want to do it right.

I have an unvented one in my fish house. Also have a CO alarm in it. I always leave a window open slightly and have never had a problem. In the 6 years since I built the house, I've probably spent 30-40 nights in this house. That being said, I am going to replace it with a vented one next year because of (as mentioned in an earlier post)excessive condensation. When propane burns it gives off an unbelievable amount of water. My ceiling is always dripping, my windows are always sweating and freezing and even the door knob sweats.

Cold One-

Check out Fish House Supply.com They are one of our sponsors and carry a good variety of heaters for fish houses. At much better prices too!

10,000 BTU Direct Vent Empire is $429.95

15,000 BTU Direct Vent Empire is $449.00

I have the 15,000 BTU Empire in my shack (7'x12') and it heats it very well. Almost too well.

The great thing is, I can sleep in peace!

Give Ron a call or check out the site.

As far as installing one there's nothing to it. Bring the LP line in after the regualtor and connect it. Screw it to the wall where you want and cut a nice hole. The vent and intake pipe, if I remember correctly are 3" and 5" ducts, which can be a few bucks at Menards. Right on the inside behind the cover is the min and max dimensions need to be to keep the pilot light going. Its something like 4.5"-13". Hook up the thermostat. Turn it on and use a spray bottle with dish soap to leak check it, done!

Check out the "FOR SALE snowmobiles, ice houses, etc" thread, rappinjack has a 15,000 btu direct vent Orbis heater still in the box for $300. I've got one of these in my shack and it's worked great. Not sure what the major differences are between Orbis and Empire. I got mine at Fleet Farm, the only differnce I could see was the Empire was a lot mor expensive. As far as install goes, they include good instructions. i installed mine mid-season on the ice while we were fishing. The hardes part is cutting the hole for the vent.

I have an unvented, and when it is cold, I get A LOT of condensation. I would get a vented, but there is another option. I would look into a forced air propane heater. You'll need a battery or two to run the fan, but if you mount it near the floor, your heat distribution will be almost the same from top to bottom. I have fished in two fish houses with these, and they are AWESOME. No cold feet, and sweaty head laugh.gif. I believe Atwood makes them, and they are no more expensive ($400) than the direct vent ones. Just another option.

Thanks guys, Rappinjack didn't seem to be available, so I ordered an Empire 15k from Fish House Supply. I really didn't want to go with an unknown from Menards and I didn't want to put up with a battery eating fan either. I will be using computer fans in the ceiling to move the heat around.