• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Deep Sea Fishing in Cozumel

FishingwithJake

Question

6 answers to this question

I went out for a 4 hour charter when I was there 5-6 years ago. Ended up just being myself and one other guy and we caught a lot of mackeral, amber jack and sea bass. I don't recall the charter though. They were listed in the information at my hotel. I had almost as much fun watching the the tarpon on a feeding frenzy as the captain and deck hand cleaned the fish and tossed the parts overboard. Noe those were some huge fish! laugh.gif

That will be a little early for the best bill fishing. Much of the action is more toward the mainland side, so your charter out of Cozumel will have to do some running to get there. There are lots of fish around, of many species. I'm sure you'll be able to find a charter boat that will help you catch some fish; perhaps not bill fish, but other fish that will provide plenty of excitement. April May and June things get hot. My best day: six sails, five white marlin, four nice tuna and a ton of BIG kingfish- King Mackeral. We got 22 jumps from one small white. Wooooo eeeee. Magnifico!!

Don't recall the charter service, but 4 years ago 4 of us went out of Coz and we all caught fish. Barracuda, Mahi mahi, lots of trigger fish, and my wife pulled in about a 35 lb yellow fin tuna. We did a 1/2 and 1/2 tour where the we went trolling to a spot, then did some bottom fish jigging, then trolled back home again.

Caught fish on both trolling runs, and the bottom fishing is where we caught all the trigger fish which was a lot of fun. Trigger fish are just like a 5 lb. bass except you're pulling them up from about 60 feet down. Good fight. They're a light flaky white meat too, very tasty sauteed in butter with a light parmesan rub on it. Our hotel chef knew just what to do.

Set it up with your hotel kitchen in advance so that they'll prepare your catch for you. We had a feast afterwards for just $6 per person. We had enough fish to feed the whole kitchen staff too, which I'm sure we did...