• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ice Fishing Salt Shield Ideas?

hill7410

I use this trailer to haul my atv and ice house but it gets sprayed with salt spray every time i take it out of the garage. It is a aluma trailer and it has an 8 inch tall bar in the front where the tire's rest against. Do you guys have any ideas for material or something that i could bolt to that? i have many idea's going through my head and wondering what is the best out there.

Thanks.

hill, I have the same problem. last weekend I went 50 miles to fish and of course I had to follow a sand truck for about 10 miles. I had to stop at a car wash and spray of my wheeler as it was covered in dirt. I might look into the plastic barrel option.

boxcar46

Aluma makes a 2 foot tall shield for the front of their trailers, I just checked on one for mine (6314) and it was $240. If you want something else, just go over to Midway Iron & Steel in St. Cloud, bring you trailer and have them make something up for you out of diamond plate aluminum. 0.100 or 0.080 should be thick enough. What model trailer do you have? I designed one at work, I just haven't had it made yet, mine was going to be 3 feet tall and wrap around 24" on each side, quoted at $275. All kinds of options depending on how much you want to spend.

I installed a couple of hooks on the front of my trailer. Bought an 8x10 heavy canvas tarp and use that to keep the dump off my wheeler, house, sled or What ever I am hauling. I have been using the same canvas tarp for 8 years. I use bungy straps to hold it tight. Cheap and easy.

I have a 7x8 trailer, the two atv trailer. What I ended up doing is buying a 8 foot long by 3 foot wide sheet of aluminum from menards, got some 2 inch wide by 3 foot long steel peices, self tapped them to the sheet and bolted it to the front of the trailer. before i bolted it i bent it a bit. Bad thing i did was i didnt get thick enough steel so i have to replace the 3 peieces of steel and go to midway and get some thicker stuff, it bent over pretty good when going down the highway. All in all very pleased, looks sharp and it only costed me about 50 bucks and a few beers later. smile.gif

I had the same issue with my old trailer and didn't want to put $200.00 into a salt sheild. I built my "redneck" salt sheild a few weeks ago using three, 55 gallon, plastic drums. The drums were a total of $15.00 and the hardware you could pick up at Menards for another $10.00. I just put 600 miles on the trailer and the sheild is rock solid. In fact it is actually taller than a few other shields I have seen advertised. It turned out pretty well and the only give away to the construction is if you look on the back side and see the remnants of the barrels. I can email you pictures and contstruction hints if you're interested.