• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Vertical jigging with plastics?

bnbrk94

Hey fellas. I am heading to candada in june and am getting a little antsy. We will be mostly jigging vertically for walleyes. Just wondering if anybody has had luck with plastics? Such as gulp, powerbait, slurpies? I am just thinking that if I want to try some of these I should start buying now. Do any work better than others? I know plastics are great for pitching but vertically fished? Any input would be great.... Thanks in advance.

Never been to Canada, but i do know on the Mississippi from Pool2 on down, also on our lakes. Vertical jigging plastics is very productive.

I'd bring some gulp minnows, ringworms, paddle tails and superdo's.

Good luck

I've fished lac seul a lot. For vertical jigging I prefer minnows, but sometimes I use plastics only and still catch plenty of fish. For casting / pitching and retrieve, it's hard to beat plastics.

Depending on when you go in June the fish might still be on the shorelines -- I wouldn't get too tied into "mostly vertical jigging" until you see where the fish are.

Get some 4" power grubs is more along the lines of what Otter is saying i believe. And when you find a wind blown point or shoreline on Lac Seul pitch those 4" power grubs right up tight too the shoreline break. Or you can get the 5" K grubs they are called and pitch them. It does work in Canada and on big fish too. Just another option.

that the same lake that I go to, it's a very large lake I'm going up there the first week in Aug this year you will have to let me know how you do. We use a 75ft house boat and stay on that all week. let me know what part of the lake you are going to and I may be could help you out a little thanks jason

I typically use just a twistertail for casting shorlines and weedbeds. The nice thing is the pike and smallies will keep you busy!

Powerminnows have worked well for me on deeper water structure. Very seldom have I used live bait on those remote lakes.

mw

Thanks fellas. We are going up on june 17th. The place that we are staying at said usually that time of year it is vertical jigging in around 20 feet of water, but that is obviously subject to change. We will go where the fish are. I just want to make sure I have enough plastics. We are going to Hudson, Ontario and taking the boats from there to a island. The guy runs Lac Seul Adventures. Never been to canada before and I can't wait....

just my two cents worth LOL.I fish 3"power grubs on a jig both vertically,and casting and slow rolling it on bottem and do very well all summer.i started doing it on the upper mississippi with great luck for both smallies and 'eyes(keeps the rough fish at bay). But it also works very well in lakes too.I have tried it in the winter but i think its too much action for the fish in the winter i get a lot of lookers but no commitment,looks awesome on the camera though!LOL not that that counts for much.