• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. 😀

• RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
BlueLiner

Horizontal Jigs

What knot is the best at holding a horizontal jig (L/A Optics for example) horizontal. Usually, I fish a 2-4 lb. flourocarbon line and I have trouble keeping the jig at right angle to my line.

Thanks B.L.

I generally use an Improved Clinch knot. The key to keeping your bait horizontal is to constanly realign it. Whenever your bait comes out of the water, you reposition it to make sure it stays horizontal.

Quote:

I generally use an Improved Clinch knot. The key to keeping your bait horizontal is to constanly realign it. Whenever your bait comes out of the water, you reposition it to make sure it stays horizontal.

Right on jpz!!! I have come to realign my knots after every fish for sure, and sometimes after I have "missed one" I reel up just to make sure that it is sitting right. I really noticed the difference in their appearance when I was looking at my bait with the camera. Just the slightest mis-alignment of the knot and it doesn't look right.

CA

See, us Merrifield folks know our stuff!! I've been playing with the Custom Jigs Diamond Jig. And with that it is at about a 45 degree angle so you have to manuever your line just right. Been using that with a new secret plastic and doing quite well on gills and craps!

Quote:

See, us Merrifield folks know our stuff!!

grin.gifgrin.gif

I'm a "North Merrifield" address how bout you?

I just started experimenting with the 45 degree jigs and plastics last year. I only bought the genz bugs and really liked how "heavy" they fished for such a small jig. How does the Diamond Jig compare. I agree plastics sure can be the ticket.

CA

I'm a Southie!

The Diamond Jig is great, as it is a big head (relatively) for the Size of hook you are using. Works heavier than a Genz Bug. Gander has a pretty good selection if you are looking to try them out.

For horizontle lures, I like any knot where you ahve to go through the eye twice.. I still feel that I have to re-align the lure as stated above... but I feel theline stays better where I want it with knots where you go through the eye twice.. forme usually the Trilien(sp) knot or the palomar.

Or sometimes, I will loop through twice and tie an improved clinch.. Just make sure you go back throughthe same direction as you went through the first time, opposit of a palomar.