• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

anchoring a protable in the wind

fishin789

I just bought some of these anchors Randy R after reading about them on another site and they by far are the very best . Cheap they are not but I got a deal on a package of 5 Irbis ones even though one will anchor me or so I have found so far and if you wanted to anchor from wind in any direction than I use 3 . Two ties running from the back corners to a single anchor and at the front I would run one at each side so you dont trip over the ties and they are out of way of door . They sure are slick and go in and out super ,super easy but sure do hold . Best money I've spent in awhile and I've tried many of the others mentioned and these are easiest and best for me . I think the ice climbers put alot of faith in their rigging and it has to hold or the landing may be a tad hard on the nogging and it also has to be easy in and out .

TD

Since we are all dealing with portables here, I use the kiss mentality (keep it simple stupid). I always consider the weight issue, since I pull mine by hand. I prefer the stick and rope method. It doesn't add weight, its cheap (free) and it doesn't require any additional tools, and I can install it in no time. It's only one more hole to drill, which is easy! grin.gif

I own a pair of the HT Fishing ice anchors, they were $2.50 for 2, and screw into the ice pretty good. I put them in opposite corners of the holes I fish out of, butted against the plastic on the bottom of my Clam 5600, works good.

fishin789, I carry 3 or 4 ROCKS about 2 1/2" in diameter in my house. If it starts gittin' windy, I wet 'em down and put them on the down wind side of my house to freeze in. If I fish a spot OFTEN enough, I could potentially start a BAR grin.gif Haven't built one, YET, but I'm doin' my best!! Phred52 smile.gif

I saw a guy that was using these this past weekend on a potable like a tent with no floor and it was windy sat morning and he screwed those spikes into the ice and no more chasing his tent alover the lake. and it looked pretty easy to screw into the ice slick idea.

Pathogen (interesting screen name! grin.gif)

I checked EMS after reading your post, didn't realize the screws they are selling now cost that much. I got mine for about $35 a pair last year, they were a special at the time.

I use two anchors and get away with it by keeping the back of my portable squared to the wind.