• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Who has more than one portable?

Powerstroke

I was wondering how many people own and USE more than one portable during the season? I ralize that people who own a permanant will still own a portable, but who has two or more portables and are they different sizes?

I ask because I have the Otter II small sled. I'm debating whether I should buy the Den fishouse for the sled I already have (I usually fish alone) or go for a whole new setup with a larger tub and everything. I already have a 2-person Frabil suitcase style which I'm not terribly fond of, but it works for me and a buddy or bringing the kids. In a perfect world this wouldn't be a problem, but I am a working man like so many of you and I can't just throw money at all this new gear.

I actually have four houses, but have only used two of them in the last couple of years. I have a Polar Sport doublewide that I bring if there are people fishing with me and if I am going alone I have an Otter small den that works great. I like the Otter and sometimes it would be nice to have a little more space but when I am alone I am moving around all the time and a bigger house would be much more of a hassle. The other two houses I have are a Clam 6800 and a homemade suitcase style with the Cabelas fishhouse kit but since they are the suitcase style they are hard to be very mobile with so they stay in the garage.

I have three.

Otter Small Den - lightweight, one person, easy to pull walking out

Eskimo Quikc Flip II - 2 person flip over, doesn't take much room, not too bad to pull out on the ice.

Clam 5600 - A lot of room for two people

I have a Clam 5600 for fishing alone and a Frabill Triplex for fishing with friends and need to bring the wheeler ,,the triplex doesnt fit well in the box of My truck so I need the trailer either way to haul stuff to the lake,,I must say I like the Clam best

Randoid

Clam 6800 and 5600..

The Clam 5600 for fishing alone or for quick trips out with a friend. Clam 6800 for longer days out with a friend or two. And both houses (and a couple more friends with their 6800's) all trap-linked together for the ultimate fishing party! smile.gif

Portability isn't an issue - I've pulled 2 6800's and the 5600 at the same time, along with all of our gear behind a sled and wheeler with my home made sled.

I use a Fish Trap Pro & a Fish Trap Guide when I need more room. Sometimes I'll use the Trap-Link to link 2 Guides together which is fun. I'll probably get a Pak Shack too for sight fishing & hiking into a few remote areas.

I have a trap pro that I use for early ice and fishing by myself and a trap voyager that I use most of the time for two of us to fish out of. I also have a mankato tent and awning suitcase style house that I bring when friends that dont have a house want to go fishing. I also have a perm that hasnt seen the ice for two years now... confused.gifI wouldnt be without any of them, maybe the suitcase house if push came to shove, but its paid for so whatr the heck

i have a frabill XLTwin for fishing with two people inside or just me if im going to fish more than one hole inside. An older Fishtrap Scout that i use when im alone and wanting to move alot. Three Mankatos that dont see much use anymore and are avaiable for sale or trade right now and two other semi-permanents that havent seen the ice for 3 years.

Eskimo Quick Flip II and a Clam 1060. Eskimo is for walking season or when I am on the move. The 1060 is for longer and / or family outings. Both of them are great houses for fishing. They also both fit in my Suburban.

I also have an Otter sled for nice days when I don't need a house.

hah...I used to own a fish trap voyager, and 3 pros...got rid of two of the pros and bought a guide.

Fishing partner has a frabill speed shak, otter medium cabin and a fish trap pro...I think between the two of us we have seating for 12 people...

I have 2.

Fish Trap Pro when fishing by myself or walking a long distance or through lots of snow.

Otter Lodge when fishing with someone else, or when using my wheeler to pull it. It's not too fun to pull by hand or get in/out of the truck by myself.

Got a 5 1/2 x 7 portable with wood floor that I've used for quite a few years. Just got a nice used Clam 5600. The bigger portable is quite heavy, but is good for multiple people. Got the Clam for more of a 1-man outfit, much lighter weight and all, but still could fish 2 from. The Clam will be much easier to pull than the other.

I have 3, otter cabin, Otter den which is probaly the favorite cause portability and a canvas suitcase style[might be a mankato ] that is new or only used a couple of times that I got from the in-laws cause it was taking up space in the garage.

Quote:

Ummm..I have a problem.. Am an ice house addict.. I have 5... The Scout, The Pro, 2 Yukons, and an X2... But the people who fish with me are comfy!!
smile.gif

Good Lord Jim!! smile.gif

I've actually got 2 portables and 1 permanent so that probably makes me just as bad.

Otter Den My 1 man house. I use it when walking out, fishing with others who have shacks, or fishing alone.

Otter Lodge My 2 man house. I use my Lodge on big lakes the most- URL, LOW, Mille Lacs and normally pull it out behind my sled. I'm always fishing with someone else when I use my Lodge.