• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Budget rod/reel combos (under $25)

Mistermojo

Can anyone recommend a decent light/med combo that I could get 2 or 3 of for the price of one Thorne Bros rod? I do mostly panfishing with attempts at catching an occasional walleye. I know there are deals to be had out there, just looking for some recommendations on what you may have used or know someone that has...

ALSO - does braided line (fireline, etc...) work in the winter?

Thanks, Mojo

Can't remember the brandname, but the rod/reel combos is called Jig-a-Whopper. It's 24" with built in Springbobber. the 2nd line guide is rotated to the right side, and the tip is horizontal. The spring bobber will detect those really light bites, but the rod itself still has plenty of backbone for even walleyes.

I found it at FleetFarm in BP for only $15

I'm also using the PowerPro Ice 1/8, so far I like it alot.

Quote:

Gander also puts together some nice combos for that price.

I would second the gander Guide Series combos. I have a couple of them and am very impressed. Normally when you buy combos you are either getting a decent rod and a cruddy reel, or a decent reel and a noodle rod. Guide series stuff seems to be pretty decent in both areas. They are however in the $30 range. Normally I buy seperate rods and reels and avoid combos for that reason, but if you are going to get a combo, I would look that route.

CA

There are alot of good deals out there. I like the Frabill Panfish Popper. They are normally 20 - 25 bucks. Fleet Farm actually had them on sale for 15 bucks a while back. I bought a lightning rod combo for 20 bucks last year. I put together alot of my own combos. You can buy guide series rods and Rapala rods pretty cheap. Take you summer fishing UL reel and put it on there. Add a spring bobber and you are in business.

all i use is ht rod real combos ul 24inch and there amazing ive never had a problem with them at all i also picked up a 20 inch frabil panfish popper ul and i love it the 20 inch seems alot littler action then the 24 but i caint find the 20 anywhere so if anyone can help with that please do

I just picked up a nice combo from gander for $25. I originally went in to buy a genz stick but I thought that gander threw in a better reel on their combo so I went with that. After using it five times it's become my favorite rod. I also put fireline crystal on it and after always using mono I may switch over more of my rods, very impressed. Just remember to tie a palomar knot.

I second the comments on HT. If you are looking for straight combos, they are good, or mix and match. Get some ice blues or Northlander Noodle Tips and put on a gander or first ice reel. You could do that in the 15-20 range and not have a problem. Great deals.