• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

The Truth...4-wheeler is still not recovered...

Wifeofafisherman

YIKES....wifeof you must have been losing it for that bit of time while waiting for news, my word I could'nt imagine. So good to hear your loved ones are safe and warm now.

Best regards.....fiskyknut

I'm going to jump in with two feet on this and give my opinion. I do think people have the right to voice a concern over something that is posted here for all to read. People form there opinions over the information that they can gather. If complete information is not there then people tend to fill in the blanks to form there own conclusion. The initial post here was from a friend of the family. A follow up post by the wife filled in information gaps. Some questions were answered but others were not. An outsider trying to gain information from local and county officials will have a hard time at best gaining information. There are many quirks to the story which make people form an opinion. For those who believe the story and want to render aid and assistance that is there your choice. For those who want to voice caution that is there choice. To tell people it is better to say nothing then voice caution in my opinion is not right. Whether you like it or not there is the chance that the story is not true. This is the Internet and people forget that anyone with a computer can say anything they want. No, you don't have to prove that the accident happen. You should not have to defend yourself. But answering questions and filling in the blanks answers peoples questions. People show concern and interest over a story like this because it could have just as easily happen to us or one of our loved ones.

The members on this forum have proven time and time again that through words and deeds have helped out members in need. I am sure that they will continue to do so. I suggest that everyone just take a deep breath and step back. The first string was locked, I don't understand why a second string on the same subject is being allowed to continue. In closing I am happy no one was injured, good thing you have insurance. Hope you can recover enough to cover your losses. I also hope that you will continue to post here.

Personally, I don't feel the number of posts justifies anything. I don't have many posts on this site, and I would never make up a story as tragic as this one. It may or may not be true, only the posters know, I think the idea of having donations go to charities is a bit of proof that this may be true, but it may not. I just hope that if I were to have the unfortunate luck of having a story like this one to post, that it would not automaticaly be assumed that I am lying. If you don't want to donate, then don't. I am only on this site during the winter, I only ice fish, that is the reason for my low number of posts.

I am glad that no one was injured over this. It was unfortunate that the people who this happened to had their gear stolen. Should people be sorry that the DNR and police are giving them a hard time. No. From the data that was given to the reader on this web site, I think that the people involved were neglegent to a number of factors. Not to mention stupid. With all of the warnings, recent warm weather, and precautions that should have been taken. They didn't even check to see where or if it was safe on the ice. It would have been one thing if you broke through on the ice due to it being thin, but to actually drive the 4-wheeler into open water, wow. I would think that a few things would have had to happen. First, The person driving wasn't being responsible or safe. Second, if it was dark and the vision wasn't good slow the he11 down to see where you are going. Third, the people involved couldn't have done a decent job of talking to people, scouting, or checking for safe ice. Hopefully, they learn from this. That's why I think a number of people feel that this thread could be a scam. Do I think it is a scam? I don't know if it is or not, nor do I care.

Well, I was able to get some info on this from the sheriffs department. Yes, a wheeler and two guy's went in the drink on North Center. The four wheeler was recovered later that Saturday according to my sources. As for the gear, don't know anything on that. Sad thing is that this won't be the last time this happens. With those two spots on North Center just freezing over someone not from around here is going to think it's all safe and drive something over it. confused.gif

MudCat,

I guess I might have started the ball rolling on the scam issue in the post that was locked. I am an IT director and an avid fisherman/hunter. I love the state of Minnesota (I will be up at Upper Red this Weekend) I just hate to see hard working people getting scammed. I have dealt with many scams in my profession and I just wanted to give the facts that I got from the Chisago/Lake Central police dept. I NEVER SAID THIS WAS A SCAM, I JUST STATED THE FACTS DIDN’T ADD UP. I also said in the post that got locked that a 4-wheeler DID go down but it was recovered shortly after. As for the missing tackle there was NO police report on record. I have said my peace and now I am getting ready for RED.

Take Care and good fishing.

PERCHKING

I am the person who did the original post that is now locked. I had many offers for equipment to help out and after finding out it would be covered under insurance I said they were no longer necessary. So that means I have collected nothing so even if this story was made up, which it wasn't NO WORRIES. As far as the comment about driving into open water, First of all the local bait shops should probably not give advice to go to the part of the lake that is open. Yes its good to research where you are going but sometimes you rely on advice from others.

For everyone who has posted....

Once again, I'm writing to update you all...

THE FOUR WHEELER HAS NOT BEEN REOCOVERED AS OF TODAY, JANUARY 11TH. THE STOLEN ITEMS WILL BE COVERED UNDER OUR'S AND DARRELL'S HOME OWNER'S INSURANCE, AS I MENTIONED BEFORE.

I will continue to write to update those of you who have an interest in this story.

Brandon and Darrell are not from the area, however, have fished North Center many times. They haven't fished it this year however, and after the acccident, Brandon (my husband) was the first person to admit that they should have fished the lake during the day first...

In his defense, they were not cruising the lake at MACH 10 or anything...it was dark...and he did not see the open water...He is also one of the most responsible driver's I've ever ridden with and even more so, one of the most responsible and respectable sportsmen in Minnesota. Oh...one more thing...Brandon calls local bait shops to check fishing reports and ice conditions before each outing (as do most fishermen... He was told by a local bait shop that the North end of North Center had 8-10 inches of ice and there were no reports of open water.

Glad to hear everyone in this case is alright!!!! Scary situation!!!! Hopefully everything will work itself out......You might want to make sure that your insurance isn't affected with this type of claim. Yes it is a homeowners claim but after your deductible is paid off the amount that you actually claim might not be worth the increase in premiums that may occur......just a thought!!! Good Luck and glad to hear they made it out safely.....

Quote:

Glad to hear everyone in this case is alright!!!! Scary situation!!!! Hopefully everything will work itself out......You might want to make sure that your insurance isn't affected with this type of claim. Yes it is a homeowners claim but after your deductible is paid off the amount that you actually claim might not be worth the increase in premiums that may occur......just a thought!!! Good Luck and glad to hear they made it out safely.....

Ozzie has a good point.It really depends on your company and what you deducable is. Most homeowners polies have either a $500 or a $1000 deductable and most companies charge a surcharge on the yearly premium if they pay out more than $500. I know for the company I work for it is $1000 for auto claims and $500 for homeowners.

Quote:

For everyone who has posted....

Once again, I'm writing to update you all...

THE FOUR WHEELER HAS NOT BEEN REOCOVERED AS OF TODAY, JANUARY 11TH. THE STOLEN ITEMS WILL BE COVERED UNDER OUR'S AND DARRELL'S HOME OWNER'S INSURANCE, AS I MENTIONED BEFORE.

I will continue to write to update those of you who have an interest in this story.

Regarding the 4 wheeler. If you haven't already you might want to call the sheriff and tow companies again. You say it hasn't been recovered but the sheriff says it was if I read correctly. I'm just thinking that someone hasn't informed or found the owner yet but has it in impound.

I'm glad everyone is safe. smile.gif

A few postings have referred to the 4-wheeler as being recovered...IT HAS NOT BEEN RECOVERED AS OF TODAY. The Sheriff's office has instructed Darrell to contact the water patrol unit...they will then decide to try and recover it now, or in the spring...

For those of you who have claimed that they contacted the authorities and have been told the 4-wheeler was recovered, who did you speak with? When? This last posting really made me think...what if it was impounded and Darrell hasn't been contacted yet? I'm just trying to get some information for Darrell...this whole process has been exhausting for him and I just want to help! Thank you!