• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

The Truth...4-wheeler is still not recovered...

Wifeofafisherman

(Refer to Help! Or atleast read the story forum) Many of you may remember me as the wife of one of the fisherman that went into open water on North Center Lake on Saturday, January 6th. My name is Kate...I want to give you the story...the full story...it's quite lengthy...so bare with me...

On Saturday, January 6th, my husband Brandon, and his dad Darrell drove Darrell's 4-wheeler to the north part of North Center lake to do some fishing. It was still dark outside...so Brandon, who was driving the 4-wheeler, did not see the open water and they plunged in. Brandon was able to swim to the edge of the ice and pull himself out of the water. His dad was also able to swim to the edge of the ice, but was struggling to pull himself out. Brandon reached in and pulled him out...They laid on the ice to catch their breath and gain some strength back before they got up to go and get help. They walked to another nearby ice shack where a man on a 4-wheeler gave them a ride to the access in which their truck was parked (Thank you!). Cold, wet and terrified, they went to a local bait shop/store to ask for a phone number to a towing company in which could pull the 4-wheeler out. While they were doing this, the Sheriff's office recieved a call from a fisherman that a portable ice house was floating near the edge of the open water where they had plunged in. The authorities went to the spot where the ice house was floating, and then removed the ice house from the water. As you all know, Minnesota fishing regulations require your driver's license number to be on the shack at all times...the authorities then matched the driver's license number to an address and phoned the residence. I was just waking up when I heard the phone ring. The authorities asked if I knew if anyone was using the shack that day. I of course became very nervous, but told the authorities that my husband and father in law were on the lake...he told me that they were going to begin searching for the vehicle they had drove to the lake in (which was my red dakota) at the nearby accesses (While they were searching, Brandon's and Darrell's fishing gear was stolen out of the house...) They called me about a half hour later stating they could not find the men and that search crews were being dispatched...I was terrified. I truly thought I had lost a husband and a father in law. To our families relief, the authorities called back about 45 minutes later stating that Brandon and Darrell were alive and okay. They were asked by firemen on the scene if they were okay, and they replied yes, so the boys were not treated for any medical conditions. They boys were instructed by the DNR Official on the scene to contact a gentleman from the Forest Lake area who specializes in recovering sunken vehicles. They did...and that same day, they returned to the sight of the accident with this gentleman and they began searching. After about 2 hours, the man thought he had hooked something near the area they had went in, but because it was getting dark, was unable to finish the recovery that night. He told Darrell that the next morning, him and another professional would bring a boat out to see if the item was indeed the 4-wheeler. The following morning, Darrell phoned the gentlemen and to our disbelief, he had said that they had dragged the bottom of the open water area and no 4-wheeler was found. He told Darrell that he was surprised the machine didn't float...and suspected that it was pulled out of the water by someone and stolen. Darrell then contacted the authorities regarding the possibility of it being stolen, and they told him he had 7 days to get the machine out of the water or he would be fined. He then was instructed to contact a third professional regarding the recovery of the machine...

He did, and today, this is where the story stands...

The third company may send diver's down this week...it's costly, but Darrell only has until Saturday to retrieve the machine before fines are assessed.

I JUST WANTED TO CLARIFY THE STORY...SINCE SO MANY PEOPLE RESPONDED TO THE LAST FORUM..

BOTTOM LINE...BE CAREFUL EVERYONE...I WOULDN'T WANT ANYONE TO EXPERIENCE WHAT BRANDON AND DARRELL HAD TO, AND OUR FAMILY HAD TO!

One comment that came to mind. I don't know how the authorities could impose a fine for the vehicle if it can't be proven to actually still be in the lake. I would fight it if it came to that. If it's not in the lake, then it has obviously been retreived albeit, not by your husband and/or father-in-law.

Bob

HOW FAST WERE THEY GOING AND HOW BIG WAS THE OPEN SPOT?

IT IS POSSABLE THAT THE 4 WHEELER WENT UNDER A LITTLE BIT AND WITH THE MOMENTUM THEY MAY HAVE HAD IT COULD HAVE WENT UNDER THE ICE AND THEN FLOATED BACK UP.ANY WAYS I AM GLAD THOSE GUYS ARE OK, YOU CAN REPLACE AN ICE HOUSE AND A 4 WHEELER BUT NOT A HUSBAN AND FATHER IN LAW

God bless us all, I still have not been out myself and with a year like this EXTREME caution is advised. As far as the salvage. Renting an Aquaview to see if its still there by going around the hole, and its unfortunate it happened but thats what insurance is for, but remember when on ice you are taking a risk. Some insurance might cover it some may not, if its financed its usually covered. If its totally lost then you can also get out of the loan too. Pretty much doubt anyone would have gone in after it to steal it, but with the wheels and air in the tires it might move some on the bottom, also for some of the guys out there looking to invent a product how bout a portable floating system with CO2 for ATVs one on the bars, one on the backseat.

GLuck It usually works itself out.

Quote:

for some of the guys out there looking to invent a product how bout a portable floating system with CO2 for ATVs one on the bars, one on the backseat.

That product has already been invented. Our fire department has 3 of them and they are totally cool. It's called Nebulus. Why that name I have no idea but that's what it's called.

Just an update...

I just spoke with Darrell and here's the scoop...

He has 7 days from the time of the accident to retrieve the 4-wheeler...if an attempt is made my divers by Saturday to retrieve the 4-wheeler and it is NOT found, the divers must contact the authorities and report the 4-wheeler as non-recoverable. Fines then will NOT be assessed because efforts were made and the vehicle will be considered 'stolen'. If the 4-wheeler is found, it becomes an insurance issue...Either way, sending divers down is expensive and this whole situation just stinks...

My guess is that the wheeler probably went down into the water and the momentum carried it forward some. It then would try to come back up to the surface as it should float for awhile. If it did that it most likely could be floating under the ice ahead of where they went in. This would make it impossible for someone to find if all they did was drag the bottom right where the open water is.

Before you go hire divers I would get out there and drill some holes around where it went it. and check it out with an aqua vu. But BE CAREFUL the ice is obviously thin in that area. Hopefully if you find it a chain saw or ice saw can be used to cut a hole where the wheeler is. hopefully that will save you from hiring divers.

Thanks again for all the kind words and especially all the advice that has poured in regarding the recovery of the 4-wheeler...I have talked to Darrell since my last posting and I have relayed all the messages that have been posted on this site...

I had asked him if during the first two recovery attempts they had used an underwater camera and he said the second professional used an Aquaview Camera as well as some sort of Sonar gear and they still had no luck finding the ATV.

Darrell seems so exhausted...he's been on the phone with the DNR, the authorities, the diving/recovery professionals and his insurance company since Saturday night. I hope this is all over soon...it's been nothing but a big pain in the rear!

Thanks again for all the support...what FINE SPORTSMEN we have here in the land of 10,000 lakes!

Quote:

Let it go, what does it possibly matter whether it is true or not?

Many generous FM posters were about to blindly donate rods, gift cards and other items to these scammers. If the scammers had posted an address checks would be in the mail. These stories by first time posters don't make sense and have not been collaborated by any outside sources -- several FM members tried to verify the stories with local police, sheriff and bait shops and nobody has heard of it.

Sloop it is called Minnesota nice. And I don't recall anyone yet proving the story false. If you don't like it or don't believe it, then don't. By the way I notice you have a whopping "3" posts, so lets ease up on the people, they have had enough problems without eveyone else jumping on them too. Once again I'm glad everyone is safe and hope this all gets finished for you very soon. wink.gif

Quote:

Quote:

Let it go, what does it possibly matter whether it is true or not?

Many generous FM posters were about to blindly donate rods, gift cards and other items to these scammers. If the scammers had posted an address checks would be in the mail. These stories by first time posters don't make sense and have not been collaborated by any outside sources -- several FM members tried to verify the stories with local police, sheriff and bait shops and nobody has heard of it.

I really....really wanted to stay out of this.

But, just for record, the original post, and in fact subsequent posts by these people never asked for anything other than information, so.......where's the scam?

Fisherman and Fisher Ladies...

I know that I have thanked everyone for all the kind words that have been expressed in this forum, as well as the "Help! Or atleast read the story" forum on numerous occassions, however, I'd like to take time to do it again. THANK YOU!

An update about the stolen gear:

The gear that was stolen from the ice shack will be covered under our home owner's insurance, as well as Darrell's. It is GREAT news to hear that the guys will get to purchase new gear...however, the thought of someone stealing it still breaks my heart.

As for the 4-wheeler...no new updates!

[The police are in the process of filing a theft report and I am sure nothing will ever happen with it. Otherwise if anyone has any extra equipment they would be willing to donate or sell for a good price it would be appreciated. ]

From the very first post, from the friend of the family.

Just to again clarify....so everyone is on the same page...

Brandon and Darrell have NEVER made a post on this site. Brandon's friend Josh was just being a good friend to him when he had asked for donations in the forum "Help..."

Due to the overwhelming response from the wonderful people who post on this site willing to donate, I talked with Brandon and Darrell about 5 minutes ago, and they said that if people want to donate their used equipment, then it would be a great chance to donate to charities who've been asking for ALL OF OUR HELP for some time now...I've done some quick research on the internet and some sites I've found that are asking for donations are Boydsfishing.com and educatedangler.com. (I like the second one the best...the donations go to children mostly!) Or, I'm sure many of you know that any local Gander Mountain would gladly take your donations...

Thank you for your generous offers, but Brandon and Darrell would like for the donations offered to go to an established charity...

What a great idea? (It was my idea...!!! grin.gif)

Quote:

Just to again clarify....so everyone is on the same page...

Brandon and Darrell have NEVER made a post on this site. Brandon's friend Josh was just being a good friend to him when he had asked for donations in the forum "Help..."

Due to the overwhelming response from the wonderful people who post on this site willing to donate, I talked with Brandon and Darrell about 5 minutes ago, and they said that if people want to donate their used equipment, then it would be a great chance to donate to charities who've been asking for ALL OF OUR HELP for some time now...I've done some quick research on the internet and some sites I've found that are asking for donations are Boydsfishing.com and educatedangler.com. (I like the second one the best...the donations go to children mostly!) Or, I'm sure many of you know that any local Gander Mountain would gladly take your donations...

Thank you for your generous offers, but Brandon and Darrell would like for the donations offered to go to an established charity...

What a great idea? (It was my idea...!!!
grin.gif
)

*applause*