• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Best Spearing Decoy Money Can Buy!!!

bassNspear

Here is the decoys that I use. I have been using these for about 4 years. Have used there products for 10 years. I have used the homemade ones that I have had made, but nothing works better then these. Just my opinon

They are made by Bear Creek. All Bear Creek Spearing Decoys are hand assembled and painted for the highest quality

available today. They use there popular epoxy coating

as a finishing touch to insure that the paint will

remain intact for years of spearing pleasure. I perfer the red and white, and the goldfish color 10" inches in length. They swim like champs, and with a live decoy under it, connected with a DP-1 decoy pin, its tuff to beat. I suggest you try them. There great.

Picture137.jpg

U got that right... I love these decoy also, this body style seem to get more fish into the hole, witch is a good thing. If u are looking or already are into spearing u need to use these decoys. I have used the red/white ones and also one in firetiger. i like useing different color to see if it will help make the fish react different!!!

i agree with BnS, love those decoys. mine are older than those in his picture, they dont have the glitter look on the side. i have one with flouresent green in it also. another one i like another spearer friend made me a salamander decoy. it looks cool in the water ad does its job bringing in nords.countdown 38 days!

I am with redbricks.

I like to use a red/white 6 or 8" wood decoy with the bendable "tin" fins. One can reall change the movement of the decoy. Nice sweeping motion to tight little circles even get them to almost do a flip like a dying minnow. I also have the same in perch, firetiger, black/yellow, pink/white, black/white and a couple others. Most of the time I also have a live sucker down using a "stickpin" and weight. This is off to the other side of the spear hole and above or below the decoy. The depth difference seems to make the pike think about things a little longer.

Sorry guys, but I'm not on board here.

The only decoys I use are handmade by myself, my dad, my grandpa, or earlier ancestors. Jr. has a couple we are working on, and we have used a few he has painted after I carved them out, weighted and finned them.

We don't use any live bait whatsoever - for me it kinda takes the charm out of spearing to stick a live minnow down the hole. If the decoy I'm using isn't enough, its time to change out decoys.

Unlike some of the "purists" in other sports, I surely don't look down my nose at those who choose to use a minnow, and I really don't care that some choose to use commercially made decoys.

Its just the satisfaction of seeing the slimer come in after the chunk of wood I spent a few hours hacking out of a cedar limb - doesn't make me right or wrong - just a little different.

What the heck, my wife considers me real different.....

I love homemade decoys too, but love the small northern perch-colored Bear Creek.

Great decoy if you don't have the time or effort to make your own.

My dad always made his own except for his one Bear Creek. Now, that is all he uses...but I am convincing him to make some more for this year!

i have tried using homemade ones before, but i always go back to my bear creek. I have had nothing but good luck with it, so in that case, i will always use bear creek untill otherwise. Its just a great all around decoy.

B n Spear - when you say a live sucker under your decoy - do you mean on the same line? Hooked to the decoy somehow? How far below the decoy?

I always use both - but on separate lines. Always willing to try something new.

Thanks.

Bass-n-Spear,

Where did you find the bear creek decoys with the reflective tape? I found some pianted ones at Fleet Farm, no prism tape tough. It did look like there was a small hole in some of them. Is that supposed to be there? Also what is a DP-1 pin?

Thanks, Huey

Ps I enjoyed your podcast.

i'm sold on the bear creek decoys too, but my go to decoy is the shorter skinnier model in rainbow trout pattern. then i heated the tail and straighten it abit so it makes about a three foot circle pike can't resist. o ya and a teaser with a red and white dardvele under it worked like a charm on saturday. grin.gif