• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fishing in the Bahamas

Big Walleye 58

Just got back from Grand Bahama a little more than 2 weeks ago. I posted the same thing in Expert Information, which is a slightly better fit than Open Water Fishing...Anyways, I went with Reef Tours. I draw 5th fish of 6...It stank like diesel exhaust the whole time, and I got the largest Barracuda. I was hoping for Mahi-mahi, Wahoo, Kingfish, Tuna, Marlin, or Sailfish. Would I do it again? Maybe, but probably not with them. From everyone I talked to on the docks and with different charters, it was slow everywhere. They don't regulate fishing at all, and at least one captain I talked to said that he is seeing fish numbers and size plummate everywhere (big game). I hear March is the best time for big game.

I did some reef fishing but IMO it isn't like fighting something big. They also don't have much diversity of reef fish where I fished (Jacks, Gray and Red Snapper, and Yellowtails).

Bonefishing was suggested to me, but quite honestly you do need to be better than I am at fly casting. It is a once in a lifetime experience so do it right. And it will cost you...minimum $300.

The bahamas in general...expensive since everything is shipped in...beware Smilin Pat's tours in Grand Bahama, and keep in mind that the Bahamas have significantly less to offer since they were battered by 3 hurricanes in 14 months.

Thank you for your response albeit too late for me . We went to Nassau, Bamahas . The wind really blew the first three days so fishing was out of the question for me. Small craft advisories and seas 8-10 ft. Talked with 4 other groups of fishermen staying at the same resort as ourselves and they did very poorly on the fourth day .Four groups ,19 people total and 2 tiny fish . That was enough to turn me off of the idea . We did not go to the Bahamas to fish just thought it may be an option as long as we were there.Thank you for your post.