• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What would you do???

luv2fish

We are heading up north to our favorite crappie hole for the day tomorrow. Last year my friend and I really got into ice fishing. His inlaws have a cabin up north that he told me has a good summer population of crappies. We gave it a try, and after a long day of searching found the crappies. He went up more than I did, together we probably made 6 trips up there. Everytime we caught as many 10" - 13" crappies as we could from 2:30 - after dark. Other thing to note is that there was NEVER any houses near the spot, and only 1 or 2 on the entire part of the lake we fished.

This year we went up there around the 19th, and got into them again (same spot). But there was a permanent about 50 yds away. My buddies father in law goes out there every night to feel the pole bend as he is retired as is living on the lake now (doesn't keep any). Tonight he called and told us the other guy moved he permanent right where we fished, and where my bud's father in law has been most nights. Tonight when the guy left, my bud's father in law tried to say hello but the guy just gave him a dirty look and left.

Now when we go out there tomorrow would you:

1. Set up 10 ft away and be legal?

2. Set up a more reasonable distance away (30 yds) and try to get into them.

3. Find a total different spot to get them.

Its a touchy situation for sure... Crappies usually are suspended and are a large enough school that you can get 20 even 30 yards out and still get them.

If the person is out there, you can even respectfully ask him how he is doing... and point out. "yeah, we found this spot a few years ago, and have been doing quite well, we have permission to the lake from this person." Then wish him the best of luck and move the respectfull distance away..

You may be surprised, the person may pull a full 180 and be great and even invie you into his house?... This has happened to me... then again, the guy may be a jerk... Its always been my plan to try and kill em with kindness!

I think I would try the 30 yards away and see how it goes. The guy might be on your spot but that does not mean he is catching fish. If he does not fish his house that night and you are not catching anything then I might move closer to your orginal spot. Depending on the guy maybe a knock on the door and sharing some information might work out for the both of you. On his part it would be kind of dumb for him to be on the lake with a house and watch you catch fish while he doesn't. MN nice says stay away, but the law says 10' Would be interested to see how you make out.

Just to add. Last time we went it was beautiful (Nice MN winters grin.gif), and we sat on buckets the whole time. We drilled MANY hole throughout the early afternoon, and chased them around. I think we had 3 before 3:00, got out there by 10:30. When they finally started moving in, my buddy was actually about 30 yds from me in a different hole. He did just as well there as me and his father in law did. So we definatley will start further away. I actually hope the guy is there so we can try to talk to him...... Nothing better in fishing than hanging out and meeting new friends.