• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Spearing (Pics)

Stiff

Hi All,

I'm very new to the whole spearing thing... or maybe not. "Bass n Spear", I wish I had met you 20 years ago. I've had interest in it for years, but never had anyone to show me the ropes. Then one day a guy was spearing but had forgotten his heater. I offered him my spare and sat in his shack with him a fair bit of the afternoon. I asked him a bunch of questions and slowly started putting the whole thing together a little at a time.

I've always loved the decoys, and my most recent curiosity is what makes a good one - what makes one swim better than another?? I think I need to try to make a few of my own. I think that might be my next step into the sport.

I have my Grandfather's old spear, which is really a pretty nice one, but the one I use is one I bought at auction. Someone made it by hand, and did a really nice job. I wish I had met th eguy so I could thank him.

I made a portable spearing shack that is really nice to fish out of - but this year with the thin ice I've been using my Otter shack because it's so much more portable. I also, joined the MN Darkhouse & Angling Association just to support the sport and try to meet a few others who know more about the tradition.

I really don't have much experience with the sport, but I really enjoy it. I went once up on Big Marine in early December this year. I wanted to get a few to pickle in time for Christmas. I was successful and the pickles came out really excellent. Several people commented that they liked them better than herring. That made me pretty happy and I sent a pint home with my father in law.

Anyhoo, I just saw that long post about Opening Day and figured I'd start a new thread because that one has gotten so long and the conversation has gone in so many directions. I hope some others will post photos of their success here as well.

Tony

Decoys.jpg

SpearHole.jpg

PikeonIce.jpg

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Stiff, nice post and good job with the spearing and pickled fish. That is a pretty cool old spear and ice tongs. The decoys are newer, althought the two Bruell decoys in the middle are not made anymore and are becomming somwhat collectable. It looks like you have a Lori Dresch perch decoy in the hole in that second picture. How does that one swim? I have a few of her fish but have not had a chance to try them out much yet.

First off, I would like to thank you for the comment that you said about me buddy. Makes me feel good that i have helped another guy out when it comes to spearing. Like i have said, i have done it for many years, and im just here to help out.

When i was looking at your pics that you have, Do you make your own decoys, or do you buy them yourself. I seen that hole that you cut in the house, must be about a 4x6 hole That baby is huge lol grin.gif

The fish that you got there is a nice pickeling fish. Im not sure if i told you or not, but i have been using my Mankato house. It is a very easy house to set up, and it is very dark. Placed velcrow on the windows, so it seels up the darkness of the house.

I am also a member of MN Darkhouse. Its a great organization that is out there for the people that are looking to support the spearing world. If anyone wants to join, feel free to ask.

Thanks again for the comments.

That IS one of Lori's fish in the hole. I bought a few different styles of her fish at the end of the season a few years ago. Out of the few that I have - I like the perch the best. For swimming - I think The Bruells are still my favorites, and the red and white seems to be my "go to" confidence decoy. I like Dewey's fish too. I have a few others that I don't like as well.

I haven't made my own fish yet, but I'd like to give it a try.

The hole I cut is usually about 2x3 feet, which is probably a little bigger than I need. Somehow the perspective of the photo makes it look bigger than that - but I think it might have been about 2 1/2 x 3 that day. blush.gif Ooops.

Here is the decoys that I use. I have been using these for about 4 years. I have used the homemade ones that I have had made, but nothing works better then these.

They are Made by Bear Creek. All Bear Creek Spearing Decoys are hand assembled and painted for the highest quality

available today. They use there popular epoxy coating

as a finishing touch to insure that the paint will

remain intact for years of spearing pleasure. I perfer the red and white, and the goldfish color 10" inches in lenght. They swim like champs, and with a live decoy under it, connected with a DP-1 decoy pin, its tuff to beat. grin.gif

Picture137.jpg

Picture136.jpg

Good Spearing grin.gif

Thanks for posting the photos of the Bear Creek decoys. I've seen them in bait shops, but I've shied away from them because the look so "plastic". I generally gravitate towards the handmade wood decoys, but I will definitely make a point to try one of those Bear Creek decoys on your recommendation.

I’ve got a few other questions. What size hole do you guys cut? And, how do you cut it? I bought one of Fish’s Ice saw’s and I really like it. It’s light, quick, quiet, and no fuel… I know some guys cut them with a chisel or with a chainsaw (with the bar oil drained), but I’ve never done that.

Once you have your block cut out – Do you pull it out? Or push it under the ice? I bought those tongs at an auction and I try to pull the block. Then I replace it and mark the hole with sticks when I’m done. Is that what you guys do too?

I’d be curious to see a pic of your Mankato House if you have one. Does it have a floor in it? I expect it does if you like it that much. That’s one of the definite drawbacks to “getting by” with the Otter shack.

The guy I watched that afternoon fished his wood decoy on one line, and his live decoy on a separate line – so that’s how I have come to do it as well (just like in the second photo). You said that you fish one below the other. Are they on the same string? Is there some advantage to one method or the other?

How much do you guys “work” you decoys? I usually run mine around about 3-4 circles around the hole not more than every 3-5 minutes – then I try to leave it sit. Sometimes I wonder if I shouldn’t work it more….. but that’s usually about the time a fish shows up.

~T

Hey Stiff, Like i have said alot it does come down to personal preference.

When i am cutting my hole, i have a 9' triple blade Strikemaster Auger. And when i am cutting my hole, i only cut 5 holes total. I cut the top left, top right, bottom left, bottom right, and one right in the middle. The hole is 5 holes across and 4.5 down.

When i am done with the auger, i will cut the rest out with my hand ice saw. This is the reason that i cut the hole in the middle. So i can cut the block into 4 pieces, and then pull the ice out iwht my ice thons. I NEVER PUSH IT UNDER THE ICE.

My mankato does have a floor in it. It is a plywood floor. They made them in Mankato Minnesota. I place carpet on top of the wooden floor, this allows me to be more fomfortable in the house, and helps keep the house alot warmer. The canvas is very dark. Ill try and get a pic.

As far as the live decoy, that is right, i do run it right under my fake decoy. Reason for this is that i will never have to move the decoy, becuase the live decoy will move it for me. This will get hte pike active becuase not only is the live decoy moving, but the fake one is as well. I place another eye lite screw on the bottom of my fake decoy, and tie the line to that. I use all MONO on this. Reason for that, is becuase the fish are not going to be able to see it. If your using the black tip up line, there going to see it and wonder.

Very Cool! I actually just put in a spool of 10lb Florocarbon with intentions adding it to my decoy rigs with the same line of thought. I definately follow up on that.

I too tend to gravitate toward the wood carved fish, but I do have a few of the Bear Creek decoys and they seem to work very well.

As far as swimming the decoy, if the water is clear I don't usually move it much. In cloudy water, I jig it more often to call them in. But you never know. One lake I speared on in December has clear water down to 14' and they would not come in unless that decoy was moving. When they did come in, they were absolutely knocking the paint off of the decoy and swimming off with it in their mouths. These hit and run guys will tend to be your smaller fish, but not always. I seem to hear of a few tales every winter of a guy that lost a fine decoy to a monster that charged in out of nowhere and cut the line. Some people use a steal leader for this reason. I don't but I haven't had that happen yet!I am guessing it is just a matter of time.

Other days the pike come in slow to a still decoy. Some days they will come in shortly after you give the string a few pulls. I have watched them lurking just outside the hole and when I gave the decoy a swim they spooked away really fast. Every once in ahwile I would recommend getting your head down close to the ice so you can look out, you may see a real lunker eyeing things up. A lot of those fish never will come in, but it is fun trying.

I tend to use a live decoy now and then. I usually run mine up higher than the fake for close action. Some days they want the fake more and others they really seem to go for the live one. I use a separte line for both, and now I am suspending my sucker with hook.

I cut a hole that is almost 3X4' Its a large hole but I like the view. Be careful inside the Otter. I have an Otter Lodge. I bring a couple narrow pieces of plywood and place them around the hole. It keeps things safer and quiet. If your spear touches bare ice when a fish is in the hole, it will leave in a hurry. Also don't wear light colors inside a house as light as an Otter is inside. If they are coming straight in they can see any small movement inside the house.

I use an auger and an ice saw to cut my holes and pull out the blocks when the ice gets over 10". Always be sure to put the blocks back in the hole and mark with branches as you are doing Stiff. You don't want anyone hitting your blocks with their vehicle or falling into your old hole at night. Bring along a chisel so that you can break up your blocks if they get frozen to this bare ice we have.

Hope this helps. I am looking forward to hearing about other's advice and tricks.

See this is why i like ot place me live decoy under the fake becuase it gives it alot more movement. I have noticed the last few times i have been out, the live decoy will swim alot until there is a fish that is coming it. Sometimes i see it that the fake is swimming, and a monster will come in 1000 mph and hit that live decoy, and stop on a dime, that when you throw the spear. Reason for this, is becuase the pike has it in his mind that he has the bait, and he will not lose it, so they stop. There is going to be a time where they come in, hit it, stop for a 15 sec, get scared, and take off, but if your good like me grin.gif you will have the fish speared by then.

Another key information. Man i could talk on this subject forever.

So you just tie a line to the bottom of your fake and suspend the minnow below that? Very good idea! I will rig that up before I head out Friday. Do you have a weight right by the minnow or let it swim free a few feet below the fake?

I have it about 2 feet below my fake, and when i place it down into the hole, my live decoy will be about 2 feet off the bottom. I have used the weight harness before, but dont like it as well. Like to have the live decoy swim free.

HEY STIFF them gator can tell the slighted noise or vibration on the floor or ice. Trust me they can FEEL when you pick up your spear,Rest it on the floor and move as smooth as you can.Practice on the eaters because when BIG ED slides in! Well weve all heard of buck fever!!

Ok - So I ran out and got myself a Bear Creek Decoy over lunch today. I think I got a 10" Pike shaped Red and White decoy without the reflective stuff that it looks like is on yours. BTW - I added another one of Dewey's fish to the collection as well. (ugh - truly an addiction) grin.gif

So here are some questions:

Do you guys think there is something special about the Northern shaped decoys from Bear Creek? or do you also like their sucker and perch shaped decoys?

Any ideas about what makes the Bear Creek Decoys work so well?

Anyone have an opinion on the Lake-Co (sp?) decoys made in Isle? I've seen them in shops, but they seem to lack something for me so I haven't bought one. Any thoughts on these as far as fishing goes?

With some luck, I'm really hoping to get out this weekend.

~T

Hey Stiff,

Love all the questions and keeping this thread going I'm enjoying reading everyones comments and decoys. If I can request anything that would be please take some more pictures of the cut whole and pike coming in.

Thanks,

mr

Stiff, that Lakco decoy does work well. As a matter of fact, the smaller red/white has been one of my most procuctive decoys over the last few years. You will notice that the tail is unpainted like the Bruell and this reflects light, which seems to really draw them in some days. They usually swim very well, but I did get one that wasn't weighted properly. I have about 7 of them in my collection so far!

I am not a huge fan of the Dewey decoys. To be fair I havn't fished much with them. I only own one of his.

His brother Marvin Johnson used to make some really nice decoys that were a poured solid hard plastic. They are some of the slowest swimming decoys I have ever used, and they really work well.

I have a natural perch by bear creak and so far is hasn't produced very well for me - maybe it has for others.

everyone has there own choice of decoys but personaly i use a small red and white that my grandpa gave me that he used for over 50 years its about 6 inches long and formed out of fiberglass i am also a member of the mdha in alex i really like the posts that are out there bassnspear are you from benson cause i live north a few towns