• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

skids and suitcase style portables

Parker

I have a Speed Shack Cub. It is not a fun portable to haul by hand in snow. Has anyone created homemade skids to attach to suite case style portables to move them around easier in snow? Was thinking about taking some old cross country ski’s and trying to create something.

I made a frame out of 1 1/2 inch pvc pipe and attached that to a pair of skis to haul my shappel dx3000 and to date it has worked fine.

I also used some 4 inch pvc pipe with end caps and tied that under the frame and i can stick traditional tipups in there if i want to take them along. I also thought those might work to slide out to soumeone in case they break thru the ice to give them something to hold on to,

My whole rig looks like the wood one above but i think pvc is lighter. I have about 8 inchs of clearance from the frame to the ground.

One thing you need to decide is if you are going to pull it by hand or by a atv/snowmobile. If by hand then downhill skies are the only way to go. And don't over fasten the ski to the sled supports because you'll weakening the ski. I broke a set by doing that. And keep the first attachment point at least 18 inches from the front of the ski. Broke a set doing that too. If you are going to pull with an atv/snowmobile then HDPE is the only way to go. HDPE (High Density Polyethylene)is kind of like an extra thick PVC but not bittle. Also anything round is going to pull like a son of a gun. I tried everthing from Armor All to Trutle Wax to make the tube style runners slippery enough were I could pull it by hand and nothing worked. If there is now snow on the ice then its very very easy going, but if there is snow its very difficult, almost impossible by hand. The design I'm using now is super strong. It will follow anything you want to pull with, over any snow/ice terrain, and at any speed. I think the total weight on the runners when pulled with all the gear is around 300lbs. I have pulled a few times with three more people riding on top the shanty and it worked fine. With that much weight on two plastic tubes its very important not to go on any abrasive service. I'm trying to figure out how to post a pick of it.

we had a sled out of stainless steal tubing. where it is a total of 4 pieces. where the two peices on the top go across and place into the bottom two piezes. You can pull this baby threw everything. Its a great sled. Ill try and get some pics.