• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Florida Bass Trip

Ham

I’m planning a trip to Florida on March 12. When is the best time to catch the big one in Florida? Will be 1 hr south of Orlando was looking for input on where to go. I will not have a bout with so will get guide. Looking for any input and ideas. Do they have pole for you or do you rent them? What I might need to know so I’m ready for big Bass.

Thanks

When I was there several years ago I hired a guide and we went out on Kissemmee for 1/2 day. It was late Jan/early Feb and I remember them saying that was prime time for big bass - not sure how long it lasts but big bass are to be had at any time down there.

As for rods/reels and anything else it should be included in your fee. They should provide it all or clearly tell you that they are not - practically all of them do though. Pretty much all you need is appropriate clothing, rain gear, sunblock, good polarized sunglasses (a must as you may be sight fishing). My guy provided food, drink, and license as well.

He gave me a choice - catch numbers of fish or big fish and I went for big - we flipped some beds but there was a massive cold front blowing through that day (go figure) so we abandoned that and went to live bait (shiners) which was also included in the fee.

I recall being sorry that I did not bring my own reel and attach it to one of his rods. I found it a bit uncomfortable flipping and pitching with a strange reel.

I ended up with a 4 lb'er to show for it but, like I said, the temps were way down and the wind way up so did not expect a whole lot. Just the luck of the draw picking that day frown.gif.

Hope this helps....

Daze Off

1st choice would be the Everglades District #2. I go 2-3 times a year and fish the canals. A honest assessment of 50-75 LMB per 8-10 hr day on the water. Last year got my first 7lb'er.

Second choice would be Stick Marsh/Farm 13. Very big fish but when the bite is slow, could be long long day.

This past June I was in Orlando and took a guide to Lake Toho. It was reasonable in price except for bait...$17 for a dozen shiners!! Fishing wasn't that hot, their was a tropical storm that went threw a couple days before I went out. Biggest fish was about 4lbs. The HSOforum is orlandobass.com. It's about 20-30 miles south of Orlando. Captain Jackson is the guy you want to talk to.

Stick Marsh/Farm 13 isn't that hot right now and if you're straight south of Orlando I would say it's not worth the drive. A hurricane that blew through 2 years ago knocked over a lot of the timber and dirtied up the water which hasn't been good for the fishing. After living in the Orlando area last year I would say that Kissimmee would be your best bet for some good fishing. Okeechobee is a great lake but is very low, and Kissimmee simply has more fish in it than Toho does right now. It all has to do with the drawdown cycle they run the lakes through down there.