• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Carp through the ice

Lunker

Never seen or heard of it before, but I watched one of my buddies friends pull a 10lb+ carp though the ice over here on the WI river after about a 10 minute fight. Was jigging with a waxie. Anyone else ever done this? Kinda neat.

ive always thought about it but have never done it.I thought about maybe taking a tip up with some corn on it and just using that.I have caught carp in january and february in open water so you think you would have some luck ice fishing for them.Do you guys think a tip up would work for carp or not?

I personally doubt it. I know that in the winter carp tend to become lethargic and school up and suspend. I remember probably 6 or 7 years ago on Nokomis they were using this as a tactic to eliminate carp by hiring a company to locate them in the winter and net them through the ice. My guess would be a waste of time fishing for them through the ice.

I've speared them before. Funny story....Me and my buddy are sitting in the darkhouse, taking turns on shots. It was my turn and I'm ducking down watching a big school of carp come in with just a monster in the lead. My buddy says "You gonna get that one?" I say "Yeah", so I drop the tines in really quick, and out of the corner of my eye I see the big 7-8 pound pike staring at the decoy on my buddy's side of the hole; the fish he was talking about the whole time. I hesitate and readjust and in that time, the pike senses something is wrong so he dashes off, i turn and chuck the spear on the other side of the hole and get one of the medium sized carp from the school. I was a little disappointed but at least I got something!