• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2004 Honda FourTrax® Foreman® S TRX450FM

PikeBayCommanche

Lookin at a buyin a wheeler. Found this one for sale down here in Iowa. Says that is has 50 hours. Price $4,595.

Deal or no deal???

Or a '04 Yamaha Kokiak 450 Auto 4x4 Realtree Hardwoods for around the same price.

What do you guys think is the better choice. smirk.gif

The yamaha is a better machine IMO.. I have the 03 and its awesome... but the mid 4K range it seems the one your looking at should be about a year newer.

I guess it all depends how the machine was taken care of.

I would check the blue book value and do some negotiating.

I would say buy the Foreman if you plan on doing a lot of work with it, Kodiak if you like more trail riding. They are both nice machines. My friend has the yami and it has been real good to him, and you can't wrong with a Honda. Those prices are about the going rate.

not sure on price...sounds maybe a little high to me. at this time of year you can find some really good deals on year end closeouts. can probably find a brand new foreman in the low to mid $5k range. yeah its maybe $1000 more, but your buying brand new with warranty and such vs buying someone lese used stuff.

Now that is funny I don't care who you are!!! You just said a yamaha is a better machine. I laugh really hard at that quote. Maybe you need to try a Honda and see what a real machine is. Just giving you some grief. My dad has the Yamaha and has nothing but issues. Can't start using the electric starter when it's cold out. Pull the rewind and fires right up. As for my Honda, by the time he is done screwing around with trying to get it started mine is prrring like a kitten with hand warmers all heated up and I'm getting tow ropes ready because I know for a fact I will be pulling him out of the wood either because he was stuck or stalled. My choice is HONDA!!!!!

I have that exact wheeler...tough to say the least. I just pulled a snowmobile trailer full of ice fishing gear and 3 guys for a 3 day weekend and 150 miles on the ice..no sweat...The price seems a little high to me, I payed a little over 5K brand new in 04'...I have the es model which I would not do again. Any battery issues and you can't shift..

Resurrected from the dead. (I like to do searches first \:D )

I bought a 2000 Honda Foreman 450 ES a month ago and have nothing but trouble with the ES. It doesn't shift down like it should and I can't hardly get it out of reverse. Sometimes it takes 25 tries to shift into neutral. I try rocking it and shifting, I try being on the gas and shifting, I have tried about everything but turn off the machine to shift it.

Also sometimes if I don't shift it into neutral when its running I can smell something burning. My guess is the trannys burning. Is this normal? I have checked the engine fluid (which I believe is trans fluid also ?? )and it is fine.

DzNuts

Odds are if you are having troubles with the ES on the Hondas it is the small sensor detecting the angle of the shift control. (small black sensor located near the spud for "emergency" shift attachment) Had to have it replaced on an '03 a couple times and '04 once. Otherwise I liked the ES. Not sure what the burning smell would be.

Originally Posted By: nine-tiner
DzNuts

Odds are if you are having troubles with the ES on the Hondas it is the small sensor detecting the angle of the shift control. (small black sensor located near the spud for "emergency" shift attachment) Had to have it replaced on an '03 a couple times and '04 once. Otherwise I liked the ES. Not sure what the burning smell would be.

I see its only a $9 part. I'll give it a try.

MacGyver, I guess it's time for me to get a shop manual and learn how to adjust the trans. Unless you have a quick way of doing it...

What are peoples opinions on shop manuals. Is there a brand that people prefer?

Thanks guys.

On the front of the motor, just inside/behind the left front mud flap there is a lock nut for the clutch adjuster. In the center of it you will see a slot(for a screwdriver) Loosen the lock nut, back out the center screw until a slight resistance is felt. Then turn it back it 1/4 turn at the most (I do a bit less). This should eliminate the clutch as a possible problem. Test drive it and see if the problem is still there. If not great! If it is, then you can move on to the sensor with a bit more confidence.

Thanks for the advice Mac. With the nice weather today, I finally got to adjust that screw. Smells to be working.

Now just to get the ES working right. I'll order that sensor this week and hope it fix's the problems I'm having.