• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Garage Air lines

IndyEFI500

I am planning on running air lines in my garage so that I don't have to keep rolling hoses around. What type of pipe does anyone recommend? I was originally planning on copper but am debating on plastic. I am not so sure of the plastic though but like the cost savings. Any input?

IndyEFI500,

DO NOT USE PLASTIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It gets brittle and can rupture like a grenade!!!!!

Although it is rated for the pressure, lubricants and age reduce its strength. (Ratings for this is in "a perfect world" environment.

I am in the "Compressed Air" business. Please, whatever you decide, don't use plastic or PVC.

(You will hear people say, "I have had PVC/Plastic in my shop for years and havn't had any problems") To that I say, YET!!!! Losing an Eye is not worth it!

Type "L" copper, or steel pipe.

river-rat4

No plastic makes sense to me. That was one of my concerns. I refuse to use it in the hose for water because of the risk of bursting so air and pressure sound just as good a reason to go copper. Thanks everyone.

IndyEFI

Since I work for a local large manufacture of paint,lube,and contractor equipment company I picked up two large hose reels and mounted one above the air compressor.

And one out near the garage door , each has 30 foot of 3/8 150 PSI hose.

So I can reach up to 25 feet out of my garage door, and then a little further when an extention is used.

Northern Tool sells some decent and cheap hose reels, I would look at them.

Benny

Quote:

Northern Tool sells some decent and cheap hose reels, I would look at them.

Those are two different things laugh.gif

You have good (decent) and you have cheap, period...

In reels, it is all about the SPRING

If going to copper, Use type "L" heavy wall.

river-rat4

I agree with river-rat4 . I've been in the plant/equipment maintenance field for 21 years . I've heard the horror stories from others in the maint. field of the use of plastic pipe . I'd prefer the copper but with the expense would use black pipe. Make sure you pitch the pipe and install drains . Use the drains daily . Moisture will cause problems for either of them.