• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

power pro ice line problem

arctic_scrap1

On the last fishing trip I switched to power pro ice line but I'm having a problem with it. My jigs will simply fall off, like they come untied or something. One I lost after I shined it to make it glow, I dropped the jig into the water and it fell off after using the jig for maybe 20 minutes. I lost another while setting the hook on a fish. The third my line simply went limp while jigging. The knot I always use is twice through the hook eye, then wrap around the line 6 times then through the loop in the line. I've never had this problem before. The only thing I can see that caused it is I noticed some of the strands being pulled out while trying to cut off the excess line after completing the knot. I can't even cut it with a good pair of nail clippers. I've been tying fishing knots for 10 years and have maybe had one come loose like this 2 or 3 times. I love this line because it's incredibly strong and doesn't freeze but I don't want to keep loosing $2.00-$4.00 jigs.

as the others have said.. its your knot comming untied.. You need a knot that locks back on its self. The improved clinch knot which I would say 75% of people tie does not work on the braid lines. It will work to some extent on the larger braids, but eventually it will fail. As all the posts above me have stated, tie a palomar knot and your troubles will more than likely go away!

You can purchase scissors that are made specifically for cutting braided power lines. I have a set of Rapala ones and they cut my powerpro ice line just fine. There is another not you could use that looks like an improved clinch knot when pulled tight, not sure what it is called but it should be in the pamphlet that comes in the line packaging.

i agree ; use the polamar knot. as for cutting braids, a tip from the muskie guys was to use a knife. scissors,wire cutters work for a while. i carry one of the trim knives( retractable, and replaceable blades!) with my lures. these work great on my PP 1/6 or my 80#.

I've found that a quality needlenose pliers will snip braid as well.

I purchased a cheapie ($7) model at a sporting goods store once and it was lame. The tolerances weren't good enough.

Next stop was Sears for a craftsman model needlenose pliers (6" @ $16.00). This plier set has had no problem clipping everything down to 8/1 power pro. Of course you have to maintain these pliers a tad more because they are not stainless steel, still, I wouldn't go on the water without them.

Palomar Knot will solve your problems.

I use Power Pro exclusively for all my catfishing in the summer. I'm using 80lb PP and have never had a Palomar Knot come untied. I've straightened out 10/0 Gamakatsu hooks before the knot has had a problem.

A Palomar Knot and a really sharp pair of wire cutters are all you need for any of the braided lines. I have a old pair of Klein wire cutters that work like a champ. The scissors that you can get that are advertised to cut braid don't work. I have a pair and they cut paper and that is about it.