• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Structure on a String

tdk

I picked up a set of real weeds before heading to Winnie on Friday. Didn't use them much on Saturday but used them on Sunday. We caught about 200 perch between the northerns coming through. Only abbout 1 in 8 was worth keeping. We also had a camera down and noticed they also pulled in the northerns. They would come in and lay next to the weeds and not move. Thus shuting down the perch fishing. They made for an interesting day on the ice. Has anybody else had any experiences like this.

I've never used them but it sounds like they did what they were susposed to do.

Where did you get yours from? Their HSOforum shows that Scheels carries them but when I went in there last week, no one knew what I was talking about.

They're legal. We were checked by the DNR on Saturday. I only had them out for about an hour Sat. When he pulled up on his atv, the first thing he said was "I see a whole bunch of lines here". I told him they were Structure on a String. He said he likes to see new things being used. He said he had checked a guy spearing and he was using them too. He asked how we were doing and we said not well. He told us the perch were biting better in shallower water and then told us where to head.

I just bought a 5 pack but haven't had a chacne to use them. I think they'll work great in the local ponds I fish where the fish are often located in the deepest water without much cover. I do wonder though, are the small fish attracted to these first, with the large fish being more warry???

I bought mine at a little bait store in Rochester. He didn't have a 5 pack so I bought 2 2packs for $60.00. Where we had them down on Winnie there is are no weeds. So it attracted perch right away. Then after a while we started pulling in northerns. We would have two on the underwater at a time, thus no perch. As soon as the norterns moved through the perch came back. We caught at least 200, we started running out of minows. We did not have a single northern hookup. They ignored our little perch minows. At times we could see our bait plus the northern at the same time. A fun day.

Beef, I second the question on where you place your bait (inside or outside the diamond) but I would also be curious as to how wide do you set up the diamond - 6ft across, 10ft, 20ft?

I would think you would want to create a large structure basin, while maximizing the effectiveness of the setup.

I was wondering how many times you get a hooked fish swimming circles around your S.O.S. If you are fishing in the middle of your man-made structure, do you get tangled up quite a bit? I am really interested in trying these out, but am a little worried about prime-time fishing that might be lost due to untangling. Any one have this problem?

CA

I would think that if your jigging and pulling a fish stright up that tangling wouldn't be a problem but it you were going to bobber fish or use a tip up you would probably run into issues.

Just my .02

Wow! They sound great I might have to look into them Im surprised you dont see or hear of more people using them. It is another thing to drag out with you though, man my sled is starting to get full with all these gadgets!! Can you order them online anywhere? Another great gadget I found was the tripod for my camera, it's great then you can turn it to whatever direction you want and don't have to wrestle around with it trying to get your bait in it's view.

The floats are fully adjustable. I believe they come with 50' or 75' of cord, so depth isn't an issue.

Hey, pros, how about a few more suggestions for patterns/spacing?

I've tried surrounding the perm house, using 1 or 2 in unused holes inside, Vees and Tees. I'm thinking next to try an "X" patterned over ~10 feet - 2 tight vees, 2 looser ones for options.

Any species-specific pattern suggestions?

Zzapp

i know that this is a little off topic of what is going on right now but i think that i am going to make some structure on a string my self. i am going to use these 4 foot terrarium fake plants and put a lead weight at the bottom and tie the top to a fish marker buoy string. i will let you know how this project comes out. i just cant imagine paying 70 bucks for a 5 pack of these things when i can make one for about 3 or so.

Quote:

i know that this is a little off topic of what is going on right now but i think that i am going to make some structure on a string my self. i am going to use these 4 foot terrarium fake plants and put a lead weight at the bottom and tie the top to a fish marker buoy string. i will let you know how this project comes out. i just cant imagine paying 70 bucks for a 5 pack of these things when i can make one for about 3 or so.

If you want to make your own thats fine but just make sure that you use something that is safe for the water, fish, and other wild life.

The set of five real weeds comes with five four foot sections of weeds,each has forty feet of line on it wrapped on a styrofoam type plate.The weeds are weighted with three ounce dropper weights and held up with a float.You can adjust the length of line,there is a cinch on the line like you would see on the pull cords of a jacket.Ive only used them a couple of times but have not had my camera down to witness fish holding in them.Im pretty sure they are though,the spots ive fished usually have roaming fish that come and go.After about an hour or so I notice constant activity instead of occasional.Oh yea,and as far as price,Ive spent 70bucks on alot worse things

Quote:

Hey, pros, how about a few more suggestions for patterns/spacing?

Not sure I would call myself a pro.. but I have used the SOS quite a few times..

I like a straight line and fish both sides.. I have fished a square and a diamond and fished in the middle... Lately I have made a V and fished in the middle of the V...

Of all the times I have used them, I have never once had a fish get caugth in them.. I usually fish about 4-6 feet away from them depending on depth and water clarity.