• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

dead stick rod?

bigbritt

I would agree with Crappie Kid on the Thorne Bros dead stick. I love this rod as the tip is so sensitive you can see the minnow wiggle on the rod tip as the minnow swims about. Just a awesome rod. Top this rod with a Tica reel and you will have a great combo for any size eye.

dont get me wrong here, i have the walleye, perch and panfish sweatheart thorne rods for ice fishing already and love them a ton. The deadstick looks great, but i was thinking of something a little cheaper.

cliff, i have used them for deadsticking and your right they are just fine for the job, but lately i have been using all three rods for walleye...if they arent liking my spoons then i give them a jig or something lighter...i think i need a rod for strickly deadsticking...any thoughts?

This is only what I do. I almost always use a deadstick with a minnow and then jig with another rod. I can have the deadstick with the minnow and then use the other for using different jigs to find out what the eyes want that day.

I myself love the throne deadstick and think they are well worth the price. With that though I do know what you mean by the price of them. They are spendy. I guess would look for is a Medium maybe Medium Light rod with a soft tip. To actually dead stick you would have no bobber. What I like to do is use a Rod Rocker 2 or similar balance type rod holder. So if you are using something like this you can get away with a stiffer rod. But what I find that I like about the deadstick there is some forgiveness when you pick it out of the holder. Sometimes you pick up and don't mean too but the Thorne Deadstick tip will flex without too much pressure onto the fish so they will still be there. Believe me the price may seem steep but not after you have one and have used it. It is just about my favorite thorne rod. I suppose that might explain why I have 4 of them grin.gif.

What is your definition of deadstick?

If you are talking about a "true" deadstick rod, you have to go Thorne Bros. Nobody else makes a rod that has that super sensitive tip on it.

If you are talking about a rod to fish a bobber with, well... any rod will do.

i need a deadstick rod..i use a hook and split shot with a fathead, and it is placed in a holder. sounds like i should spend the $ and that the thorne deadstick is the way to go!thanks all

went to thorne and bought the 32" deadstick with a tica cetus. i had them explain to me the benefits compared to just any other rod and let me tell you there are many. i am very happy with it. cant wait to get some walleyes with it this weekend. thanks again everyone