• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

website access to fm

rosspj59

Question

For some reason I am forbidden to access this HSOforum at work, but I can access most other websites. Is there something on the homepage that my companies server does not like? I usually go to Yahoo or Google and enter fishing minnesota and several links come up that I can access the site, but now even that is not working. Any ideas on what else to try? I don't want to type the name in the address. And yes, I realize the company can still track my websites visited if they want.

10 answers to this question

Many company's block sites that are labled as Message Boards & Forums. Either way, whatever filter they have running, there are settings that mass block sites by using vague labels. I have the same problem, but FM isn't one them, thank goodness.

I got called into the office not to long ago about my internet usage. The boss had a print out of 19 pages of all the sites I had been to, how long I was on each site, and the sites that were blocked. I'm sure FM was on the top of the list!

I hosed myself...I no longer have internet access at work. crazy.gif

Hayward 19 pages man I hope some of that was business. Oh well it could have been worse. I work in the Is dept at our company. I don't work on the LAN side of the operations but rather with the Main Frame. That aside software is available out there now that tracks all kinds of inormation about what you do at work on the internet. Heres some ideas to get around the earlier stuff. BUT YOU DIDN"T HEAR IT FROM ME. That said if you have out look try to access the internet from your outlook session. Our early stuff couldn't pick this up. another trick is to set up your home computer to attach to your computer at work in the guise of doing work from home. Something like a VPN connection this will work in reverse also so you can connect to home from work then pass from your work computer to your home computer then using your home computer connect to anywhere on the web again. Really though check your companies policy on internet usage. We allow it during lunch hours and such but some sites which use more band width are blocked. Good example is weather bug. Hundreds of computers in the company connecting every few miutes to get updates and poof here goes a ton of bandwidth. Happy surfing but don't risk your jobs folks.

URL filtering is what is happening. But like posted earlier you can connect to your home PC by way of RDP.

If you have XP at home. Go to system properties(right click on My computer) and go to the remote tab and put a check in allow remote access. You will need to create a user for remote access and I suggest a very tough/secure password for this(upper case, lower case, numbers and a special character or 2 and at least 8 characters long). You will also have to have some sort of Broadband internet at home that is always on, and you will need to know the IP address of your PC at home. You can find that by going to start, run and keying in "cmd" in the command line, hit enter, that should open a command window, key in "ipconfig" hit enter and that will tell you your IP address.

On your PC at work also hopefully XP go to start, run and key in "mstsc" this will start a RDP session. On the computer line key in your home PCs IP address and if all goes as planned you can surf at work by way of your home PC.

I work in IT and use this feature on occasion for testing access to apps through our firewalls at work.

Good luck and happy surfing.

I have XP at work, but when I click on start I am not seeing a "run" command or option anywhere to enter the "mstsc"? I have comcast at home, so do I have to have my internet explorer open all the time then too?

I'm going to try that just to see how it works even though we have access to this site at work. The remote access part may come in handy at times.

For you that have it blocked, I guess you have to ask yourself if it's really worth the risk to find a way around "the system". If (when??) discovered, I can't imagine any company taking a positive outlook on defeating/bypassing their IT plan. Where I work, undermining/defeating company systems is grounds for immediate termination.

When you click on start just a few lines up from the bottom. You will not see it in programs. On the bottom line you will see something like "Log Off" or "Turn Off Computer", look just above there. When you click on it, it will bring up a little box that will allow you to key in those commands.

Another good thing to use is logmein (Contact Us Please). You set it up on your PC at home and then when you go to the HSOforum at work you can surf using your PC at home. It ended up getting blocked at work, but when it was up it was sweat.