• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Dual Consoles - Bubble Windshields

eyepatrol

I've always wondered about boats that have dual consoles or even single consoles with the bubble windshields on them, whether or not the bubble windshields really help at all? From my perspective, it doesn't seem like they'd block the wind, block the rain, block any wave splash or provide any other protection from the elements. So I wonder what the purpose is? Just to have a console???

Any particular reason for the bubble windshields on boats, other than to just have consoles in the boats???

I have a single console and it's better than nothing! On cold days it will deflect most of the wind from you when running. Crouch down a bit and bring your legs in and it's not a bad ride. Also deflects spray that would otherwise be in your face too.

The best reason for them is the savings in room and weight. You don't have the large windshield to walk through and work around as the bubbles are rounded off and out of the way.

For as small and short as some of those windshields are, you wouldn't think they'd do much. Maybe depends on the boat brand you get though.

Anywho...I was just curious. From a glance, they just don't look like they'd do much, but then the boats I've had are walk-thrus so I don't have too much experience with them. smirk.gif

Quote:

They work much better than you think, especially at speed. ...1 and you save a ton of room.

That's exactly the point, they save a lot of room. A full windshield boat has less deck (fishing) room than a single console.

A dual console is a compromise.

If you are concerned about weather, full windshield will give you protection, but as soon as you try a single console (with plexiglas windshield) you will understand the reason for it.

I have a Lund Pro V 1800 with twin consoles with the sport windshields. The consoles and windshields block a lot of wind when underway. While they don't offer as much protection as a walk-through wrap around windshield, they don't act as much as a sail in windy conditions. The extra storage is also nice; especially for grab items like hats, gloves, flashlights, etc. I think they also look a lot cooler than a full walk-through.

I have the dual "bubbles" on my boat as well. I really like them. I can store alot of things in,on or under them and it also gives my kids something to crouch under when it gets choopy. Mine also have some grab-handles on them which my kids also use to keep them grounded and on the seats. The extra room afforded is also the biggest reason I went with these rather than the full-windshield. There is really no space limitations like I have experienced with the full windshields which makes getting from the front to the back of the boat no problem at all.

Double bubbles come in handy. As others have said, they do not protect you like a full windshield, but they do deflect a good portion of the wind and water and provide storage w/o sacrificing a lot of space.

Bubbles also tend to remain firm a lot longer. A Full windshield is more prone to loosen up.

I got a dual console for my prov have yet to install it. My dad said do you really need it. I said no I don't but you might like it since he is always the passager grin.gif. The extra storage will be nice to have and the protection it add will be nice.

I've been thinking of doing the same thing on my Pro V. Did the console come with all the hardware and decent instructions? I don't have any problems putting one on but I don't want to guess at what size screws I'd need.

Once you see the console I don't think you would have to guess too much. Mine is kind of getting pieced together. I ran across the console on a auction but it is missing some of the stuff so I have been putting it all together. The hardest thing I am going to have to put some angle iron on the gunwale for it to mount against. This will be the tricky part I think the rest is just screws into the floor.